Upgrade problems from DS7.0 to DS7.1 and it's impact on QS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PilotBaha
Premium Member
Premium Member

Upgrade problems from DS7.0 to DS7.1 and it's impact on QS

Post by PilotBaha »

After we upgraded the DS 7.0 to DS7.1 we had major problems with jobs using QS Plugin . these jobs have been running without a glitch for some time and after the upgrade we started to experience some awkward problems.

One of them is the metadata problem. We ran the job and aborted with an error message reading "I couldn't find the first column of the metadata in the output link". When you open the QS plugin, the column is in there however. Reimporting the metadata solves to problem for some time, but after a while it starts to give the same error again. Reimporting the metadata solves the problem again..

I would like to hear some stories about pains you suffered and solutions you have implemented after an upgrade on DS and QS..

Thanks..
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

We had frequent problems with changes made in QS not being recognised by a DS job using a QS plugin. Some things that may help, stop and restart the QS manager. Clear out the QS server folders and do a clean deployment of QS jobs.

Our problems usually centred around a QS deployment where the job runs manually from QS but is missing pieces when run from DS and needs to be deployed multiple times and in multiple ways in order for it to work. When we change a QS data file definition and imported it into DS we had metadata conflicts when running the job.

One of my biggest peeves with QS is that it is not entirely a client/server application. There is still a lot of stuff stored on the client and different behaviour between jobs run from a client and the same job run from a DS plugin or from the server command line.

Version 7.5 was announced on the Ascential web site this week and apparently has improved integration between DS and QS.