DS and the registry

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastage
Participant

DS and the registry

Post by datastage »

Has anyone noticed just how many entries DS makes into the Windows Registry (i'm looking at a computer with both the server and client installed)? I've found over 600 entries counting all types of registry entries. I've been having trouble switching releases and though maybe that was part of the problem. It doesn't appear that the uninstaller does a very good job of removing entries as I can't deem a reason why all these would need to be kept for an uninstalled product. I'm also not sure if the number I'm finding is just what one install creates or if this is due to many changes of releases due to consulting and testing.

Would be curious as to what anyone else has found when devling into the registry looking at DS stuff. I'll also try to post some more meaningful stuff after more investigation.

Thanks
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Byron

Only version 7 needs all that. The other releases keep a lot less information.
Mamu Kim
datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

kduke wrote:Only version 7 needs all that. The other releases keep a lot less information.
Thanks Kim

After cleanup up and reinstalling, there are 3525 entires with the string "VMDataStage" and 1577 with the string "vmds". That's over 5000 entries there's definitely more.
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I did once hear DataStage's use of the Registry defined as "profligate".

On the other hand, there are a heck of a lot of functions (OK, objects and their methods) in the clients and, or course, in your case, intrinsic functions in the Windows-based DataStage server engine.

If you've had several versions of DataStage matters are worse, because you have them under VMark, Ardent, Informix and Ascential.

Unfortunately, it's how things are. :cry:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.