Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

c341
Participant

Sequencer

Post by c341 »

Hi
If i have 10 jobs attached in a job sequencer.....If i run the sequencer job and one of my job failed say my 5th job failed....

Now what I like to know is is it possible to me to continue from the 5th job that failed(after i madew some changes to run successfully) thru...my last job...

Thank You - c341
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You can upgrade to version 7.1 where this type of failover restart support can be selected as an option when you create a sequence job. You can build the failover restart yourself. A simple method is to put in a condition stage that checks the value of a passed in job parameter and has an output link to each of the ten jobs in your sequence. The ten jobs are linked together and they are also linked to the condition stage. Flow always goes from the selected starting job through to the last job.

The job parameter is a lookup list containing numbers from 1 to 10.

This gets unmanagable on a large project such as a DW. There is a lot in the archives about failover restart approaches using table driven job control or a hierarchy of job sequences with major milestones.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure if Kenneth Bland wants to advertise his particular solution or not - but he has a very nice collection of routines called "KBA Job Control". It can automate a complex series of server jobs with little to no effort required on your part and constantly keep X jobs running in parallel at any given time. Add to that an automatic 'Resurrection' ability where it picks up right from where it left off in the job stream and it is pretty darn cool. :wink: That's just scratching the surface.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Hester should finish his batch automation. His is very nice. It stores job batches in a database with the order. It can execute SQL or shell scripts. It posts the results back to that database with row counts. Very nice and clean.
Mamu Kim
Miguel.A.Rodriguez
Participant

Kenneth Bland's Job Control objects.

Post by Miguel.A.Rodriguez »

Hello Craig. I'm trying to acquire copies of the "KBA Job Control" code and documentation. Can you instruct me on obtaining those copies? Your help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.
chulett wrote:Not sure if Kenneth Bland wants to advertise his particular solution or not - but he has a very nice collection of routines called "KBA Job Control". It can automate a complex series of server jobs with little to no effort required on your part and constantly keep X jobs running in parallel at any given time. Add to that an automatic 'Resurrection' ability where it picks up right from where it left off in the job stream and it is pretty darn cool. :wink: That's just scratching the surface.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You'd need to contact Ken directly. I don't know if your posting in the 'Using an array as a job handler' thread is enough or if you should send him a note directly.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Miguel.A.Rodriguez
Participant

Post by Miguel.A.Rodriguez »

Hello Craig. Thank you for your response. Fortunately, Kenneth had responded to my inquiry. Currently, his web hosting system is experiencing problems. He stated, as soon as it is available, he will provide assistance in my acquiring the information which I seek.

Have a pleasant day ...
chulett wrote:You'd need to contact Ken directly. I don't know if your posting in the 'Using an array as a job handler' thread is enough or if you should send him a note directly.