Job Parameter Problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arunverma
Participant

Job Parameter Problem

Post by arunverma »

We have develeoped module which extract data from multiple server and load into DW server , This is a Multinstance job , When I set defaut for server no 1 Ex: SVRNO = 1 (Multii Instance -1 ) and then set parameter for server 2 , SVRNO = 2 (Multii Instance -2 ) , server 3 , SVRNO = 3 (Multii Instance -3 ) , after setting all parameter , I very much surprise to see that all default marameter change i.e - for Ex - server 1 , SVRNO = 3 etc . So I am not able to set all defaut value for all server .

Pl. Help me .

Arun Verma
Arun Verma
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome to the Forum. :D

Your job is either a multi-instance server job, or it is a parallel job. Parallel jobs do not have, or need, multi-instance capability, because parallelism is built in to the architecture, based on the configuration file.

Since you did not mention a configuration file, I will assume that you have a multi-instance server job. May I ask where you are working? I was working in Mumbai not long ago, for Reliance Infocomm.

To answer your question, we need to know how you are "setting the server" (for example manually, from a job sequence, from a job control routine) and also whether/how you are setting the job's invocation ID.

Armed with this knowledge we will be in a much better position to be able to assist.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
arunverma
Participant

Post by arunverma »

ray.wurlod wrote:Welcome to the Forum. :D

Your job is either a multi-instance server job, or it is a parallel job. Parallel jobs do not have, or need, multi-instance capability, because parallelism is built in to the architecture, based on the configuration file.

Since you did not mention a configuration file, I will assume that you have a multi-instance server job. May I ask where you are working? I was working in Mumbai not long ago, for Reliance Infocomm.

To answer your question, we need to know how you are "setting the server" (for example manually, from a job sequence, from a job control routine) and also whether/how you are setting the job's invocation ID.

Armed with this knowledge we will be in a much better position to be able to assist.

Hi ray.wurlod

Thanks for reply , Sorry , this is a Server Job . We try to set all default parameter through Datastage Director , Actulay We are having 10 Billing server and all server table and filed and structue are same , so we need to identify record from which billing server this data belong , we are using parameter SVR_NO .

Yes I am working with Reliance Infocomm Mumbai .
Arun Verma
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmmm... try 'Validating' the job via Director, once for each occurance of SVR_NO and use the apppropriate default values for each when you do so. I believe that will create what looks like your 10 Server Jobs with the appropriate default values. No guarantees. :wink:

Be aware, however, that it is really still only one job. Recompiling the job will blow away all of your instances in the Director as they are really just 'views' into the common log where all messages from all instances go.

You would probably be better off wrapping this in some Job Control and driving the setting of the parameters from a table or sequential file, based on SRV_NO, if at all possible. It could still be MI but you wouldn't have to worry about having the defaults precreated for each one. Something to think about.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
arunverma
Participant

Post by arunverma »

We have set this default parameter through Datastage Director , but some time working , some time not ??
Arun Verma
arunverma
Participant

Post by arunverma »

Yes I Agree with your view , But I found some time it work and some time it is not ?? , We also face problem that if any value passed through root job sequencer then some child job got correct valy and some one got with different value , then we restart DataStage server and all application working fine . So Is it some problem DatStage Product or in our server .
Arun Verma
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Surely, if the parameter value needs to be different for each separate invocation of the job, you don't want to use the default value in any case but, rather, an explicit value?
The behaviour you are describing can occur if a job has aborted and not been reset, or if the job has been stopped by the operator (has this occurred?). Other than that I have not seen the problem; but there has been another thread on the Forum recently about a bug with encrypted parameters - perhaps your problem is related.
Has this issue been reported to your support provider (SAP India)? If so, was there any resolution?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
arunverma
Participant

Post by arunverma »

Yes our friend Mr. Anupam has also raised this problem , Once any job aborted we reset then restart again , but still parameter is not passing to child job , We have not raised this problem to SAP India .
Arun Verma