New to DS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

marc_brown98
Premium Member
Premium Member

New to DS

Post by marc_brown98 »

Hi All,
I have been lurking for a while on this site and the dev net for Ascential. I am looking for a little feedback on a datastage process. Basically, I am implementing a type 2 scd using michael's example,(thanks Mike). My question is that, right now I end putting CRC values and a natural key out to a hash file, would it be wise to store this in the db also as a way of backup? BTW, Thanks to Michael and Ken for their help in PM's.

Thanks
Marc
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Marc,

Actually storing the CRC value in the DB is a good idea and one I try to get each of my customers to do. This will prevent you from having to generate a CRC value for an existing record. It's one less step you have to perform. When you are updating or inserting new DW rows you already have this information so why not store this value in the DB?

Regards,

Michael Hester
marc_brown98
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by marc_brown98 »

mhester wrote:Marc,

Actually storing the CRC value in the DB is a good idea and one I try to get each of my customers to do. This will prevent you from having to generate a CRC value for an existing record. It's one less step you have to perform. When you are updating or inserting new DW rows you already have this information so why not store this value in the DB?

Regards,

Michael Hester
Michael,
True enough and easy enough to do. BTW, I PM'd you a question with you CRC32 example. Thanks