Importing table definitions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nilotpalr
Participant

Importing table definitions

Post by nilotpalr »

Hi,
How do I import the ODBC table definitions exactly as present in my Oracle tables.
For all columns that have varchar2(n) definition in Oracle, Datastage is defaulting them to varchar(19). Date type of columns is becoming Timestamp in datastage after importing the table definitions.

Is there any setting that I can do to override this.

I want the column definition to be imported exactly as it is in my oracle table.

Thanks,
Nilotpal
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Unfortunately, you have to use a common data type model, and that is what DataStage is doing. When importing definitions, they are translated into the common model. When loading data, the metadata is cast into the target table type. Whatever DataStage imports as metadata is what should be (in most cases) appropriate to use.

Are you having an error or an issue?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
nilotpalr
Participant

Post by nilotpalr »

kcbland wrote:Unfortunately, you have to use a common data type model, and that is what DataStage is doing. When importing definitions, they are translated into the common model. When loading data, the metadata is cast into the target table type. Whatever DataStage imports as metadata is what should be (in most cases) appropriate to use.

Are you having an error or an issue?
Hi Kieth,
The issue I am foreseeing is that a varcha2(50) column is becoming varchar(19). Would thsi truncate the data when i run the job?

Thanks,
Nilotpal.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

nilotpalr wrote:The issue I am foreseeing is that a varcha2(50) column is becoming varchar(19). Would thsi truncate the data when i run the job?
Yes, and generate warnings to boot. :wink:

You would be better off using the OCI stage to import Oracle table metadata. It is under "Plug-in Meta Data Definitions". If you can't do that, then you'll need to manually edit the metadata after the import to correct any of these "issues" you are seeing.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers