DSRMessage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

josy
Participant

DSRMessage

Post by josy »

Hi All,

Please, could somebody give me some details about DSRMessage.
I would like to know the meaning of the arguments passed to it.
I can't find any documentation concerning that topic.

DSRMessage("DSTAGE_TRX_E_0011", Message = "No command to execute.", "")

For instance, what is DSTAGE_TRX_E_0011 ?

Regards

Josy
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't know if this is different in version 5.x but in later versions it is documented (somewhat) in one of the big pdf manuals. I've looked it up before, having the same questions as you did and I don't recall where I found it - but it is there. Whichever one has the alphabetical listing of all of the "DS" functions.

That being said, it (the documentation) doesn't really answer your question, just saying something about formatting messages, from what I recall. The argument seems to be some kind of template for it to use for the message, I believe I found those off in one of the header / include files down in the bowels of the Engine. :?

Hopefully one of the Grognards can shed more light on this.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DSRMessage is the subroutine invoked by DataStage itself to log events in job logs. It is eventually called by DSLogInfo and related functions.

The all-upper-case tokens such as DSTAGE_TRX_E_0011 are keys to a "resource file". All DataStage messages are tokenized in this way so that it is easily localized. If you are in the US, the resource file (actually it's a hashed file) is DS_RESENU (English US). If you are in Japan, the resource file is DS_RESJPN. In this way, any message that needs to be generated (whether for display or logging) can be in local language.

The English text string (second argument to DSRMessage) is used if the particular key value cannot be found in the resource file (or the resource file can not be opened).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.