whether ORABULK call the sqlldr explicitly or implicitly ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Gughanand
Participant

whether ORABULK call the sqlldr explicitly or implicitly ?

Post by Gughanand »

Pls tell me whether ORABULK stage call the sql loader explicitly or implicitly...????
I have tried using ORABULK stage without using after-stage subroutine.
it worked good ..but after loading 10lakhs rows ...it fail to display the rows in ORACLE.
Then i tried using after-stage subroutine (ExecDOS)...it works fine...
So pls tell what is the exact process happening in the background of ORABULK stage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The ORABULK stage produces the control and data files for sqlldr.

It does not have any implicit capability to invoke sqlldr.

Most of the other bulk loader stage types do have this capability, but the ORABULK stage does not.

It is for this reason that you need to use ExecSH (or ExecDOS if on Windows) to invoke sqlldr.

The reason is simply historical. The ORABULK stage was shipped with version 1.0 of DataStage, and has never been significantly changed since. At that time it was believed that users would want to generate control and data files for subsequent loading into Oracle, perhaps under control of a scheduler of some kind. (Poor guess!)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.