Accessing files on Novell server through Datastage on Win 2k

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wdudek
Participant

Accessing files on Novell server through Datastage on Win 2k

Post by wdudek »

I have a job that uses an odbc connection which links to a visual fox pro file residing on a novell server, ver intranetware 4.1.1 service pack 9. When I run the job myself it runs fine. However when the scheduler runs the job it fails with the message
all to SQLConnect failed.
SQLSTATE=S1000, DBMS.CODE=171
[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Cannot open file g:\dbases\vfp\asset
egular\asset.dbc.|
I remember having a previous problem copying files off of one of our other windows servers that was similiar where it would run from Director when I explicitly ran the job, but fail otherwise. I have tried changing the Log on for the Datastage Engine Resource, under services to other log ons, which in theory would have access to novell, but this fails. As a note the Novell client is installed on the server. Is there a differnt service that I should be changing the logon for? Is there a way to change who the job is scheduled as? Is there any reasonable way for me to do this or should I just give up, move to San Diego and live under a palm tree as a homeless person?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Under Administrator you can set the userid that scheduled jobs run under. Have you configured this? If manually running the job from Director, it runs as you, if running from the schedule, it runs as the person who scheduled it. If the person who scheduled the job does not have access to all resources/servers....

You configure this from the Administrator client.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I have seen situations where the run as option Ken mentioned doesn't work on windows servers.
you need to check as Ken said under what user ID it tries to run and change it.
also sometimes the fact that the services run as the localmachine and not a real user may cause things like what you have so try changing that to a real user (dsadm perhaps + make sure the user has privilages to perform the operation).

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Re: Accessing files on Novell server through Datastage on Wi

Post by shawn_ramsey »

Have you tried referencing the file using UNC (\\server\share\folder\...) instead of the G:\? I suspect that it is a drive mapping issue or a Novell rights issue with the account that the scheduler runs under. We are doing something similar with an Access database but we have a script that copies the Access database to the DataStage server machine before we process it.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

Thanks, Setting the user in adminstrator did it, the service was already running as a user instead of local machine so I don't know if I would have needed to change this as well.