Transaction Grouping

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aravindk
Participant

Transaction Grouping

Post by aravindk »

Hello all,

I am using Transaction Grouping in one of my jobs. I have one OCI8 stage with three input links coming into it. All three are insert new rows or update existing rows. If link2 or link3 fails, I want all *previous* links to be rolled back also. How can I achieve this?

Transaction grouping is enabled in this case. But when link2 fails, it doesnt back out link1.

TIA,
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Since no-one has replied yet...

I'm assuming you have 'rollback' selected as the failure action, correct? In that case what you describe you want to happen should be what is happening - with one important clarification, depending on what you mean by 'previous' links.

Since Transaction Grouping requires a commit level of 1, then it cannot roll back transactions for any previous rows when something fails in the current row. However, when processing the current 'set' of rows, if Link 2 or Link 3 fail, then yes Link 1 or Link 1 and Link 2 should be rolled back. If that is not happening, I'd open a case with Ascential and see if there is a known bug in your version of DataStage or OCI.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
aravindk
Participant

Post by aravindk »

Thanks Craig,

I have three links and all three links have 'rollback' as 'on Fail' action and
'Continue' as 'On Skip' action.

I dont want the previous rows (that are already committed to the database) to be rolledback. I only want the current row to be rolled back.
Just exactly as you mentioned, If Link2 fails, Link1 should rollback. If link3 fails, link1 & link2 should rollback.

Anybody else, seen this problem before?
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

What is the failure that link2 is reporting?
aravindk
Participant

Post by aravindk »

link2 fails due to database constraints. e.g. NULLS in non-null fields, duplicate keys where there is a unique constraint etc.

Thanks,