Help needed to kill a "rogue" server job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RamonaReed
Participant

Help needed to kill a "rogue" server job

Post by RamonaReed »

Please I need help ASAP. I cannot stop a server job that is running. I have had the DBA kill the oracle session, and I have submitted a stop from the DataStage Director, but nothing is stopping it. Our server administrator even re-booted our DataStage server, and it's still running. How do you stop something like this????? :evil: :evil: :evil:

thanks in advance
Mona
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's a big difference between a job that says it is running versus one that actually is. If you've rebooted the DataStage server than your job, she ain't running. :wink: It is just a flag and it says it is 'Running' because it never heard back that the job ended.

Use the 'Clear Status File' command from Director to clear this condition.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
RamonaReed
Participant

Post by RamonaReed »

I've tried that, and it still indicates that it's running, Also when I right click on the job and select Monitor, the elapsed time is still increasing, so is it running or isn't it? HELP !!!!!
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Try recompiling the job, if you rebooted there can't be any runaway threads. You have a "software" lock, basically just a status in a table is invalid. Recompile and that should fix it.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
RamonaReed
Participant

Post by RamonaReed »

Thank you Kenneth !!!!! :D That cleared the status, now I only have to be able to clear the log file. Thank you again.

Mona
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What you see in the Director is not the actual status of the job. Rather, it's the most recent entry that the job has been able to write to its status file, which is what Director reads.
If the job has aborted suddenly (or been killed), then it never gets the opportunity to update its status records, so the Director appears to show it as still running.
This is why re-compiling, or clearing the status file, has the apparent effect of "stopping" the job. It's not really stopping it; rather it's updating the record that indicates that the job is running.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.