Schedule of Job Sequencer from ControlM

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cecilia
Participant

Schedule of Job Sequencer from ControlM

Post by cecilia »

Hi all
My customer is working with DS in Windows environment and uses ControlM to schedule DS jobs. I wanted to have more control about jobs execution interaction writing my own flow with Job Sequences job, but he says that ControlM can't launch Job Sequences jobs and that all logic must be put in ControlM.
I don't know anything about ControlM, so I don't know if I have other options.
Can I launch Job Sequence jobs with dsjob?
If yes, could I treat Job Sequence jobs as Server jobs from ControlM?
Thanks in advance,
Cecilia
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There's no difference in what type of job is started from the command line program dsjob. The argument that a scheduler has to run all tasks in the jobstream is invalid. Jobs are part of a jobstream, and the scheduler is best utilized when all it is responsible for doing is initiating the jobstream.

Your argument with the scheduling manager is the same argument all of us have with every customer. Jobs are tasks, the scheduler should not be responsible for coordinating tasks. In my last customer site, we had over 1000 jobs as part of 50 jobstreams. The Control-M schedule was responsible for the jobstream being initiated, but we used job control devices (BATCH jobs, custom job control, Sequencers, etc) to manage our jobs within the jobstream. This was necessary because of so many concurrent jobs executing within the stream, passing variables, results, etc, between jobs. This is IMPOSSIBLE to manage inside an enterprise scheduler.

Please concentrate on clarifying the difference between jobs and jobstreams. That's where your argument will be won.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Let me second what Ken said. Control-M doesn't give a hoot if it is starting a Sequencer job, a Server job or hand-rolled Job Control, it is all the same to the dsjob command. You need the functionality that Sequences and Job Control give you, Control-M can't help with passing job parameters, digging into User Status or any number of things that normally go on "in between" jobs.

Let Control-M kick things off, but let DataStage control the job stream from there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
cecilia
Participant

Post by cecilia »

Thanks a lot to both,
I'll go with these arguments with the customer. We want to define some standars for our consultant people too and this was an issue when defining it for use in this customer, besides for the the fact that DS looks like Batch jobs could be unsopported in future and we are moving to Job Sequences. Do you know about factibility of this?

Thanks again and best regards,
Cecilia
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Batch jobs will NEVER be unsupported. I don't know where you got that idea, but vast amount of API's created/documented requires the ability to use them. Writing your own job control is an important feature.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle