Exception Handler

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sowmyadevi
Participant

Exception Handler

Post by sowmyadevi »

Hi,

How could i use Exception Handler and explain with best
Example.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you read the on-line help and/or the manual entry for the Exception Handler?
Essentially it's a "listener" that sits on your design canvas and can initiate an action, or series of actions, if an "exception" occurs. A child job aborting is an example of an exception. You might, for example, cause a Notification Activity to be invoked by the Exception Handler to notify you by email that the exception has occurred.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
MukundShastri
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MukundShastri »

I have also tried to use the Exception handler in the sequncer , but it's giving me compilation error "This job has no start points defined".

As suggested by Ray above, I have created a sequencer in which first activity is the exception handler which triggers the notification activity by sending mail. But I am not able to compile the same.

Any inputs on this ??

[/img]
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted by the compiler error you received, this stage (and anything hooked to it) cannot stand alone.

The Exception Handler is not the 'first activity', more like a last one. Your sequence job needs to contain a 'normal' (for lack of a better word) series of Server Jobs and/or other Stages that it runs in addition to the Exception Handler series you mention. They will only run if something goes wrong with your normal series of jobs. And unless you are running 7.1 the definition of 'goes wrong' that it handles is fairly limited, so it pays to read the documentation on it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers