DataStage 5.1 to 7.1: Compilation error after migration

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Oli
Participant

DataStage 5.1 to 7.1: Compilation error after migration

Post by Oli »

Hi there
I am currently upgrading DataStage from 5.1 to 7.1. I just migrated one of my projects to 7.1 and get several compilation errors that I did not get with version 5.1.

Within Job Sequences I have I have several routines where I declare variables within the routine, an example is an Error Code that I use to choose between a normal exit or error exit. This than becomes an argument for the routine itself but is not set in the beginning. I can compile the routine but it reports warnings (new in Datastage 7.1, did not report any warnings in 5.1). When I compile a sequence with routines that have arguments that are not defined the compilation reports an error since I do not assign a value to the variable the beginning whereas version 5.1 did not complain.
Since this is a compilation warning the DataStage compile should compile with warnings but it does not, it compiles with an error. Can these warnings be shut off somehow?

Another issue but related

I get another compilation error for some of the Job sequences that I have imported. Even though every parameter is set it reports that parameter xx is missing. See below the error message.

Compiling: Source = 'RT_BP147/JOB.1558613147.DT.1324658944', Object = 'RT_BP147.O/JOB.1558613147.DT.1324658944'
*******************************************************************************************************************************
WARNING: Variable 'IdV0S22%%Param%%48' never assigned a value.
WARNING: Variable 'IdV0S22%%Param%%50' never assigned a value.
WARNING: Variable 'IdV0S22%%Param%%47' never assigned a value.
WARNING: Variable 'IdV0S22%%Param%%51' never assigned a value.

Compilation Complete.
(NPSplitBatch)

Any ideas?

Regards
//OLI
Oli
Participant

Minor change

Post by Oli »

This is a server job, not paralell

//OLI
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can these warnings be shut off somehow?
The DataStage philosophy is to log all warnings. Best practice is to heed them!
You can use a filter in director to suppress display of warnings, but it's important that you are aware of them.
In your particular case, four parameters are not assigned values. This could prove disastrous at run time, even though your job compiled.
Heed the warnings!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.