while sorting the job aborted

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hemant
Participant

while sorting the job aborted

Post by hemant »

Dear all
I am confronted with a problem like,when i am sorting a data the job aborted with an error - sort: MCS error: seminit failed.

kindly let me know the resoluation .
peterbaun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by peterbaun »

Hi -

Sounds like too few OS ressources -

Have you set the kernel parameters to the required values specified in the DataStage installation guide ?

Regards
peter
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In particular those related to "semaphores" but if you haven't addressed this issues at all yet, it would be best to get together with your Admins to double-check all of the requirements listed in the Install Guide.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
hemant
Participant

No the problem is not of semaphores

Post by hemant »

Dear chulett
Thanks for the advise ,but i have a discussion with my DBA the semaphones is not the only reason for that ,we have value of the semaphones much higher then advised ( for yur information i am sending the current value )
FYI:
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=15
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=30
*set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
*set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmax=8192
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmnb=16384
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=111
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=111
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=200
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=536870912
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=2000
set shmsys:shminfo_shmall=512
set sd:sd_io_time=0x3c
set sd:sd_max_throttle=2
set maxphys=8388608
set vxio:vol_maxio=16384
set rlim_fd_max=1000
Kindly let me know cause many times this problem occurs and i have to go for other alternative.

Regards:

Hemant Krishnatrey
anupam
Participant

Post by anupam »

Hi

I guess the problem is of semaphore initialization. I don't have much idea.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
----------------
Rgds,
Anupam
----------------
The future is not something we enter. The future is something we create.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: No the problem is not of semaphores

Post by chulett »

hemant wrote:Kindly let me know cause many times this problem occurs and i have to go for other alternative.
I hope you had a conversation with your System Admin, it really shouldn't be a DBA issue - unless they are pulling double-duty. :wink:

Your best alternative would be to contact Ascential Support, if that's an option. They would be your best reference for tracking something like this down, I would think.

Hard for anyone here to help if we don't know your exact hardware platform and operating system. I was suggesting that you double-check the installation guide for your platform and make sure that the kernel parameters they list for your platform have been set as minimums, at least. If you've already done that and they are ok, then you are off into other areas - perhaps a missing O/S patch, perhaps a bug in DataStage for your version / platform... hard to say.

Curious... Do you always get this error when sorting or is it intermittent? If it works sometimes and sometime doesn't, I'd point more to resource issues and you'd need Admin help to track it down. If it's always, I'd think the patch/bug route. :?

At this point, if you can, I'd suggest opening a support case if you haven't done so already.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers