system freeze

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Mark_E
Premium Member
Premium Member

system freeze

Post by Mark_E »

we are experienceing a strange intermitant situation at the moment using Datastage v6.0.3 on a windows 2000 (SP6) environment.

Every so often the system freezes and becomes unusable causing us to reboot. I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this type of situation or whether there is any advice as to how avoid this issue.

Further info
The number of current users is 6 at the moment.
We are using Cygwin (putty) as a UNIX emulater running in a Bash environment to access the server.

We are using a Proliant ML 570 G with 4 intel Pentium III processors with 1.9 Ghz each with 4 Gig Memory.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you running a UNIX version of DataStage in the Cygwin emulation, or are you running a Windows version of DataStage? If the latter, what is it that you are doing with Cygwin that you think might contribute to the symptom that you are describing? Is it the DataStage server machine that "freezes" (and what exactly do you mean by that term? - can you, for example, get to the Task Manager via Ctrl-Alt-Delete?), or is it one or more DataStage clients that "freeze"?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
If your using DS in it's windows version, did you check for anti-virus installation on it?
if there is one and it is running and checking all files (DS's included) you might get very very slow responses.
I had one case that a whole sequence of jobs that runs in 8 or so minutes went 3 hours or so when anti-virus went over everything.
IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
Mark_E
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mark_E »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]Are you running a UNIX version of DataStage in the Cygwin emulation, or are you running a Windows version of DataStage? quote]

We are running a Windows version of Datastage, we only use Cygwin when checking or renaming files prior to running DS jobs. When I say "freezes" I mean that the server becomes totally unresponsive and even Cntrl-Alt_del does not achieve anything i.e. task manager does not even come up. The only way to get anything going on again is to reboot - which clears up but we are not sure when it will freeze again - we are logging what we were doing at the time of the "Freeze" but so far nothing stands out.

The suggestion regarding the anti virus software is intiriguing, I believed that we had stopped the vanti virus software from running a few weeks ago, I will have to check.
mark_e