New Slowly Changing Dimension Job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tom_robinson
Participant

New Slowly Changing Dimension Job

Post by tom_robinson »

Has anyone ever used the "New Slowly Changing Dimension Job" functionality within Datastage?

The Datastage 7.0 Designer Guide displays this as an option for a way to create a job when using the New Prompt. However, this option is not appearing in my installation of Datastage. Is this something that can be enabled?

Here are the list of options the documentation lists as available:
-Server job
-Mainframe job
-Parallel job
-Server Shared containers
-Parallel Shared containers
-Job Sequences
-New Data Migration Job
-New Slowly Changing Dimension Job

Here are the list of options that are displayed to me when I try to create a new job:
-New Job Sequence
-New Server Job
-New Server Shared Container
-New Job from Template
-New Template from Job

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I believe you'll find that this is for PX jobs only.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tom_robinson
Participant

Post by tom_robinson »

I just spoke with a technical support person from Ascential who was working with a complete install of DataStage (PX included), and it wasn't visible to her either. I pointed out to her the documentation page which showed the functionality, page 3-3 (63 out of 322 in the PDF) of the Ascential DataStage Designer Guide.

I'm really curious, because I think it could greatly simplify what I'm currently working on.

Could they have included the functionality in their documentation, but not included it in their release?

Thanks,

Tom
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That could very well be. It may have gotten "pulled" or delayed to a later release due to last minute issues.

From what I heard, something like that happened to the rumored Stored Procedure Stage. :wink:

Let us know what you find out!
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's in my 7.0.1 on WinNT. However I've been having an offline exchange of private messages at ADN with someone from Ascential who says it isn't. Stay tuned...
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tom_robinson
Participant

Post by tom_robinson »

I received word from Ascential that this functionality is only offered to their internal consultants.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You would think those would be the people who shouldn't need it. :lol:
-craig

datastage
Participant

Post by datastage »

what's the fun of reusing predesigned components for slowly changing dimensions? They are taking all of our fun away. I wonder how well it works though, SCD theory never changes, but everyone's real life situation always seems to vary....curious if it is versatile enough to handle anyone's SCD challenge.
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure