Bus error (Coredump)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Bus error (Coredump)

Post by chulett »

Any help out there for tracking one of these down? What I've got is a Command stage in a Sequence that (at the end of the process) runs a Korn shell script. It and others like it have been running fine for months in a number of different jobs. Today I added it to a new job and I get the following error when the job runs:

Code: Select all

BatchETimeMaster..JobControl (@Archive_Files): Executed: /home/dsuser/scripts/archive_files.ksh /staging/ETIME/archive ETime /home/payftp/ETIMEINPUT.TXT /staging/ETIME/load/ETime* /staging/ETIME/load/Missing*
Reply=138
Output from command ====>
SH: 15502 Bus error(coredump)
I can run this same command manually and it will work fine. I can copy it out of the log entry and run it. But actually run the job and I've gotten a coredump - three times in a row now. :?

I'll open a Ticket with Ascential (and have sent it to my SA) but was curious if anyone out there had ever seen behaviour like this or had any thoughts they were willing to share.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

Sorry about the silly question but before running it from your command line you did . dsenv and other stuff from the ..RCxx so you're in the same environment.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yep! As close as possible to actually running under a job and it works fine. It actually runs just fine in many other jobs, across multiple servers and projects... there seems to be something magically wrong with this instance of it. :evil:

Maybe I'll try the old delete and re-add the Stage trick...
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

More information. I can't execute any scripts in any jobs on this particular server right now. Even if I create a job that does nothing other than call a script - any script - it coredumps. :evil:

Too much going on to allow me to restart DataStage right at the moment and I can certainly move on to other things. The system is coming down for a hardware upgrade tonight so perhaps things will be 'back to normal' after then. Perhaps. We shall see.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Always nice when four of the five entries so far are from the OP. :wink:

More info. Rebooting made no difference. Turns out what is happening is this - I can run any kind of normal O/S command (like "ls -l", for example) and anything using default shell (sh) syntax. What coredumps for me is when I need to 'pop' a Korn shell and run something using K shell syntax. Doesn't seem to matter if I do:

/usr/bin/ksh scriptname
or if I put the following line at the top of the script, which is the usual way I handle this:

#! /usr/bin/ksh
Either method causes a coredump on this particular server. I've got 'tickets' open with both Ascential and my local support forces, we'll see what comes of it. :?
-craig

hgalusha
Participant

Post by hgalusha »

Craig,

Did you get a response from Ascential on this? I just upgraded an HPUX machine to 7.5 and I'm getting this exact behaviour. I suspect it has something to do with the new dsenv, but thus far, Ascential support hasn't come through with an answer.

Thanks in Advance,

Howard
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not really. No fixes other than the need (for whatever reason) to change all references of:

#! /usr/bin/ksh
to:

#! /usr/bin/sh
in our scripts. Some of my servers can run either shell, but others (like Production!) core dump when specifying the korn shell. No clue what in the heck the difference is. Did not use to be a problem, and it didn't surface for us at a DataStage version change...
-craig

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Craig

How many files match *. There is a limit in the kernel of how big argv and argc. These correspond to $# in a shell script. Therefore you can blow out these arrays. If you patched your UNIX lately then these can get reset. I would wrap the shell script into one without arguments and try executing it. Like archive_all.ksh. Just a guess.
Mamu Kim
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

Have you verified the setting of the SHDISPATCH variable in the uvconfig file? Mine is set to:

SHDISPATCH /bin/sh
Is there a global .profile on your system?

Do ksh scripts still work from Unix?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hmm... I'll have to check SHDISPATCH and check for a global .profile, I have no idea off the top of my head. As to the question re korn shell scripts from UNIX, yah, they all work great. It's only when they get executed by a DataStage job that they core dump - and then only on certain servers. :?

Kim, I'll try your suggestions when I get a chance. I'd pretty much forgotten about this as things are working fine for us after dropping back to the 'default' shell.
-craig

jwhyman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jwhyman »

LD_PRELOAD set? Not sure of your DS and HP rev so canot advise, sheck with support f you can safely unset.
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Craig,

LD_PRELOAD set? Not sure of your DS and HP rev so canot advise, sheck with support f you can safely unset.
I ran into this problem too and was told that I could comment out the LD_PRELOAD stuff in the dsenv if I wasn't using PX, I think.

I just converted our scripts to use SH rather than KSH. We weren't using any KSH features, so it was a simple change for us.

Good Luck,
Tony
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

tonystark622 wrote:I ran into this problem too and was told that I could comment out the LD_PRELOAD stuff in the dsenv if I wasn't using PX, I think.
Interesting. I was working on the comment in dsenv that says it must be unset on HP/UX 11.00 - and we run 11.11, which I understand is 11i.

However, I've just double-checked and dev has it commented out while production doesn't. Dev runs korn scripts, production doesn't. Hmm.... I'll comment it out in production and see what happens after the next bounce.
I just converted our scripts to use SH rather than KSH. We weren't using any KSH features, so it was a simple change for us.
Yah, worked well for us, too. :wink:
-craig

tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Interesting. I was working on the comment in dsenv that says it must be unset on HP/UX 11.00 - and we run 11.11, which I understand is 11i.
Ya know. I just looked at our dsenv file and that comment _is_ in there. All this time and issues with Ascential and I didn't even see that comment. <sigh> I'm just busy... yeah... that's my excuse :)

Tony
hgalusha
Participant

Post by hgalusha »

BTW, we are HPUX 11.11 as well. Ascential recommended we comment out the LD_PRELOAD statement in the dsenv. We did it and voila, kornshell scripts work again.

Thanks again for your responses and collaboration here.