Upgrade, Migration and Best Practices

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chou
Participant

Upgrade, Migration and Best Practices

Post by chou »

Hi all,

Can any one help me in Planning & advice on upgrade to DataStage V7and Planning & advice on migration of DS jobs into a production environment and Best Practices advice.

I'll be really appriciate for kind responce

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

For starters, upgrading to Version 7 from what release?

Migration of jobs into a production environment? Version Control.

Best Practices? Any of the longer posts by Kenneth Bland. :wink: :lol:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There aren't a lot of replies because this one is a broad topic and it's been covered in quite a few threads. Do a forum search which contains the words "development" and "production" and you should see something about using multiple environments for delivery. Also do a search for "Version Control" for threads about the standard version control tool or people's experiences using 3rd party tools.

Short summary: production should have a dedicated server environment and should have read only jobs which are easy to deliver using the Version Control tool. Development, testing, UAT etc can all be jammed on the one server but if you've got a big budget (and own shares in Ascential) then by all means put them all on more than one. You will need some type of parameter management process, either through the parameter manager tool or by writing your own routines, to handle parameters that change between environments.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Contact your management and convince them to bring in a seasoned DS consultant (checkout the Inner Circle members on this forum) to guide your company in a 1 week consulting engagement. If you're asking, then you need more help than you know. It's not just how to move source code around, it's how you architect it, develop it, package it, deploy it, modularize it, organize it, etc.

Answers to your question would fill volumes and still be lacking in specifics. For example, your company security policy may mean that you have to deploy jobs with hardcoded default parameters. Thus, you can't do something like store login credentials in a parameter file/table. This has direct consequence on how you package, migrate, and deploy jobs. The list of questions I'd have to ask is about 50 just to get an idea of how best practices would apply to your environment. I'd ask about security issue, production migration, production release management, integration with 3rd party enterprise scheduler, use of a 3rd party source code control software, adherence to lifecycle methodologies, etc.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Like I said, it's a broad topic! Definitely worth getting an expert onto your project at startup to help you go in the right direction, otherwise you'll be paying big bucks for support and maintenance for years to come.