complex key expressions in a has file lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jlegare
Participant

complex key expressions in a has file lookup

Post by jlegare »

Let's say I want to do a theta join (a BETWEEN type join) on a hash lookup file. Is it possible and if so how?

I have a table that has a zone column. I also have a hash file that has three columns, zone_low, zone_high and region. I want the hash file join to lookup region based on a theta join.

I want the hash file join do do the equivalent of following:

select
table.zone,
hash.region
from
table, region
where
table.zone BETWEEN hash.low_zone AND hash.high_zone

I could do this lookup in SQL on the database but want to see if it is possible to do such a thing in the hash file.

Also - is it possible to get full outer join behaviour from a hash file join? If so how?

Thank you in advance

J.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:D Welcome to the Forum!

What you're seeking to do can't be done with a hashed file stage, which uses a computation (called a hashing algorithm) to determine the location of a record based solely on its primary key value.

A search of the Forum using the keywords "hashed file" and BETWEEN yielded quite a number of hits, as this question has been asked before. One of the answers can be found at viewtopic.php?t=86417

Searching for all terms "hashed file", BETWEEN and UV provided a more closely selected set of posts that may help you.

In quick summary, you CAN use a hashed file, in its guise as a UniVerse table, accessing it via the UV stage type (and user-defined SQL therein). You may also need to index the search columns to get acceptable performance.

UniVerse/SQL does not, however, support RIGHT OUTER JOIN or FULL OUTER JOIN.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.