datstage import problems

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deep
Participant

datstage import problems

Post by deep »

When i am trying to import a dsx file into a project by the name MDS_SYSTEST0_R44 using the datastage manager i get this error message.Did anyone get this kind of problem before.

Error calling subroutine: DSR_WHEREUSED (Action=3); check DataStage is set up correctly in project MDS_SYSTEST0_R44
(The connection is broken (81002))
ogmios
Participant

Re: datstage import problems

Post by ogmios »

Can be several things, seen it on several occasions:

A few things to try (in order):
* Reboot the system your Datastage client is running on and try it again;
* Bounce the Datastage Server and do a cleanup of the projects;
* Check whether no-one erased part of your DataStage Server installation.

Regards,
Ogmios
deep
Participant

Post by deep »

How do i clean up.
The way i know is to use DS TOOLS.Do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks!
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

deep wrote:How do i clean up.
The way i know is to use DS TOOLS.Do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks!
I usually have everyone log out and do cleanup via DataStage administrator but via DS TOOLS it should also work. In any case try bouncing (stopping/starting) Datastage server.

Ogmios
deep
Participant

Post by deep »

Can anyone pls tell why and how this problem occurs??
Are there any precautions we can take so that these kind of errors dont happen??
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The two most common causes are inactivity timeout and network failure between client and server machine.
Inactivity timeout is easily addressed in Administrator client (set a long inactivity timeout, or "do not timeout"); alternatively don't be idle for longer than specified. You might also check the timeout for the dscs service in the dsrpcservices file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
morneh
Participant

Post by morneh »

We received this error on numerous occasions due to a lack of resources. DataStage and SQL server were running on the same machine, the administrator of the box being a SQL fan, treated DS like an orphan and had it share the operating system's cpu while allocating all the other cpu's to SQL. When we allocated another CPU to DS it worked like a charm and we never had any problems again.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

morneh wrote:We received this error on numerous occasions due to a lack of resources. DataStage and SQL server were running on the same machine, the administrator of the box being a SQL fan, treated DS like an orphan and had it share the operating system's cpu while allocating all the other cpu's to SQL. When we allocated another CPU to DS it worked like a charm and we never had any problems again.
The lack of resources possibly contributed to a timeout.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
deep
Participant

Post by deep »

In my Administrator window,the inactivity timeout is GREY an the do not timeout is also grey .
I dont have anything to click on.
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

Strange, normally either the "Do not timeout" is switched on (and the "seconds" are greyed out) or the "Do not timeout" is switched off (and the "seconds" are changeable).

Are you sure you're logged on as DataStage administrator?

Were you in the meantime already able to import something, or is your problem occurring consistently?

Regards,
Ogmios
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

deep wrote:In my Administrator window,the inactivity timeout is GREY an the do not timeout is also grey. I dont have anything to click on.
Then you are not logged on as the Administrator. Pre-7, you would need to be either 'root' or 'dsadm' to have the permissions to make that change. From what I understand, that restriction has been 'relaxed' with 7, but you still need Adminstrator privledges to change the Inactivity Timeout - and then you need to bounce the server.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers