Job Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sri
Participant

Job Sequencer

Post by sri »

Hi,

I am learning datastage by myself.I am working on server jobs, and also I would like to learn job sequencer jobs.Could anybody please help me how to do that kind of jobs with small example.Just I have Idea about job sequencer.I appreciate your time.

Thanks in advance
Sri
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Job Sequencer

Post by raju_chvr »

Sequencers are another type of jobs that execute the Server jobs conditionally/unconditionally which you have already developed.

Start a new Sequence job and drag the jobs on to the design area and start connecting them with links. These links are by default black in color. That means the second job is triggered after first one is finished no matter the finish status of the first job and so on for all of the jobs in the sequencer.

But you can make it conditional also. Open the properties of the first job and go to Triggers and you can see a row their with name same as the link name that is connecting the second job. In Expression type select 'OK-(Conditional)' for triggering the second job upon the successfull run of the first job. Explore all other Expression Types also.

The real time application is that if you are inserting rows into Dimensional table in the first job and the use the keys generated by this in the second job, the first job has to be finished without any hiccups.

Search this forum for more help on this ...

IHTH
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Do you have (or can you get) access to the .pdf documentation that installs with the client software? In the Designer Guide (coredevgde.pdf) there are sections on developing Jobs - including Server Jobs, Containers and Job Sequences. It will help, somewhat.

There is also a Tutorial supplied with the software, not sure if it includes Sequences or not, but I would suspect it does.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The on-line help in Designer is also a valuable tool. It's more than a reference, it's also a "how to" guide.
Open the help. Choose the Search tab, and search for job sequence.
Choose appropriate topics (Activities is a good one on which to start; these are a job sequence's equivalent of stages in server jobs).
Triggers is also a valuable topic if you're learning how to construct job sequences.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.