How to check for nulls in transformation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mmkhan
Participant

How to check for nulls in transformation

Post by mmkhan »

Hi folks
In my transformation i have a field which has to checked for nulls.
Something like this

Code: Select all

if DSLink.field=null then ' ' else DSLink.field
When i use this it gives me an error.
So i tried this

if TRIM(DSLink.field)='' then ' ' else DSLink.field
but what will happen for TRIM(null) what will TRIM return for a null value.

Thanks In Advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Without going into tons of detail, there is an "IsNull" logical function so you could try using:

if IsNull(DSLink.field) then ' ' else DSLink.field 
Nothing is ever "equal to" null.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

NULL is "unknown" value. Pretty much any operation that you perform on NULL returns NULL. So, if you try to ask "is this equal to something whose value you don't know", it can only answer "don't know".

There is one other way to do what you're interested in doing, a technique called a "substitution conversion".
Oconv(arg1,"S;x;y;z") returns x if the value of arg1 (in a Boolean context) is "true", y if the value of arg1 is "false", and z if the value of arg1 is NULL. An asterisk means "leave the value of arg1 unchanged".
In your example, you could use

Oconv(DSLink.field, "S;*;*;' '")
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vzmz
Participant

Post by vzmz »

chulett wrote:Without going into tons of detail, there is an "IsNull" logical function so you could try using:

if IsNull(DSLink.field) then ' ' else DSLink.field 
Nothing is ever "equal to" null.
Thanks
That was a valueable information
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I usually use a DataStage routine which is a version of the Oracle NVL command. DSNVL(DSLink.field, ' ') where the first argument is the value to be checked and the second is the replacement value if the first value is null. You may want to put zeros into numeric fields and spaces into text fields.

FUNCTION DSNVL(Arg1, Arg2)
if isnull(Arg1) then
Ans = Arg2
end else
Ans = Arg1
end

This gives you a shorthand version and simplifies transformer code, though Ray's suggestion is something I'll keep in mind for boolean fields.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

ray.wurlod wrote:There is one other way to do what you're interested in doing, a technique called a "substitution conversion".
Oconv(arg1,"S;x;y;z") returns x if the value of arg1 (in a Boolean context) is "true", y if the value of arg1 is "false", and z if the value of arg1 is NULL. An asterisk means "leave the value of arg1 unchanged".
Well, that's a new one on me... interesting. Sorta like an Oracle 'decode' specifically for boolean values. Have to add that to my list. 8)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers