Different Versions of DS Server Running at the same server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gyliew
Participant

Different Versions of DS Server Running at the same server

Post by gyliew »

HI,

Not sure whether anyone has ever tried to install and run different DataStage versions (V5 and V7) at the same SunSolaris server?

From the installations, it seems V5 is using port number 31438 with service name uvrpc, while V7 is using port number 31538 with service name dsrpc.

Appreciate for any suggest.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
even if it is possible I think the real issue doing this would be, does Ascential support such an installation.
so you need to check with then.

I think I read somewhere something regarding this, just can't remember the exact details.

if you don't find any explicit info saying it is supported, ask your support provider.

do tell us what was their response.

by the way, I was wondering, why would you need/want to do this?

Good Luck.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
Teej
Participant

Re: Different Versions of DS Server Running at the same serv

Post by Teej »

Starting with Version 7, Ascential included the support of running multiple implementations on the same server. So yes, you can run 5 and 7 on the same server as far as I know.

What is the issue here?

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Teej wrote:Starting with Version 7, Ascential included the support of running multiple implementations on the same server.
I think you'll find that Version 7 includes support for running multiple implentations of the client on the same machine. :wink: Really don't think they did the same for server, but then I don't have V7 to play with yet.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

chulett wrote:I think you'll find that Version 7 includes support for running multiple implentations of the client on the same machine. :wink: Really don't think they did the same for server, but then I don't have V7 to play with yet.
Even though we have not tested it, I have confirmed with multiple support staff that V7 indeed can run concurrently with any previous versions on the Server side.

-T.J.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Interesting, good to know. Not sure if I'd ever need to do such a thing, but if they say it will work...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

chulett wrote:Interesting, good to know. Not sure if I'd ever need to do such a thing, but if they say it will work...
It is a great idea when you have a large number of legacy jobs in production that needs to be updated while you are progressing on the upgrade path to a new version. Moving EVERYTHING to the new version right away is a recipe for disaster.

-T.J.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

With versions 5.x and 7.x it's more of a case that you can get away with it, because the engines are different.
Version 5.x is based on the UniVerse engine, installed in the directory pointed to by /.uvhome and, as you noted, uses port number 31438 for the RPC mechanism, and has shared memory identifiers of the form 0xacexnnnn.
Version 7.x is based on the DataStage Engine, installed in the directory pointed to by /.dshome, uses port number 31538 for the RPC mechanism, and has shared memory identifiers of the form 0xdaexnnnn.
You could not, for example, run 6.x and 7.x on the same server, as these both use /.dshome to define where DataStage is installed.
You can not compile code in a 5.x project with the 7.x compiler and expect it to run in the 5.x environment; it's a sufficiently different compiler that this will not work.
It is my understanding, from private communication, that the location of the DataStage home directory will be defined in a future release using an environment variable (DSHOME?) rather than /.dshome, following the UniData model. However, this is not yet the case. So be very careful.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

Ray,

Don't you mean prior to version 5.2 for /.uvhome? I am using 5.2 and it makes use of /.dshome, not /.uvhome. According to the install manual 5.2 is where the change was made.

Larry
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

lebos wrote:Ray,

Don't you mean prior to version 5.2 for /.uvhome? I am using 5.2 and it makes use of /.dshome, not /.uvhome. According to the install manual 5.2 is where the change was made.

Larry
I stand corrected. It's been so long!!!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.