DSParams File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bdixon
Participant

DSParams File

Post by bdixon »

Can anyone tell me about the configurable settings in the DSParams file?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DSParams is a text file in a project directory on a DataStage server machine. The DSParams file serves primarily to store the lists of intrinsic functions and system variables that the syntax checker in the expression editor for server jobs (and the BASIC Transformer in version 7.x parallel jobs) "knows". If you use any legal function or system variable that is not in DSParams, then the expression remains red. For example, I use @FM and @VM in some expressions; unless I add these to the System Variables list in DSParams, the expression remains red, even though the job will compile and run satisfactorily.
You are allowed to edit DSParams, to place any function or system variable that's in the BASIC manual but not already in DSParams.
It's always a compromise; the more entries that are in DSParams, the more that have to be sent to the client to initialize the expression editor; too few and expressions remain red, to exasperate designers.
At the bottom of DSParams are some global settings, such as project defaults for log purge, set from the Administrator client. Again, these can be edited directly, but it's not recommended practice.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

ray.wurlod wrote:At the bottom of DSParams are some global settings, such as project defaults for log purge, set from the Administrator client.
From what I have learned, the bottom parts are the NON-defaulted values that are being provided. If you change the value, it would be appended to this. However, the syntax are very picky, and are usually best left alone.

However, I find it to be a VERY useful trick to migrate everything over by mean of using DSParams instead of typing in each parameters' default one by one. The only thing I would need to change is the default directory for my CustomOPS (only relevant in the PX world, boy!) There are two places where it is required to define your CustomOPS directories, so I have to edit in only 2 places every time I create a new project. Otherwise, it follows the same structure as anything else.

But then we rarely touch on DataStage BASIC.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

:? ... none of which is either relevant nor meaningful for 5.x server jobs! I just tried to answer the question at the OP's release level.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.