NT to UNIX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

James Kerrr
Participant

NT to UNIX

Post by James Kerrr »

We are trying to go from NT to UNIX with DS 6.x. Can we do this easily and is there anything in particular we have to look out for?

-Thanks in advance!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Very easy. Export from one, import on the other.
About the only things you need to look out for are:
  • ODBC driver setup
    pathnames (less of a problem if parameterized)
    calls to ExecDOS (replace with ExecSH, fix commands)
    calls to DSExecute() with Shell argument of "NT"
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

ray.wurlod wrote:ODBC driver setup
pathnames (less of a problem if parameterized)
calls to ExecDOS (replace with ExecSH, fix commands)
calls to DSExecute() with Shell argument of "NT"
You know, a third party tool to handle all of this would be a MAJOR boon...

In fact, something that pulls, categorize in an archive-able repository, loads, AND compile on the designated directory is something I could use. :)

(and no, Version Control is not that yet -- archiving the stuff is very important to us among other things, along with specific control on how to do versioning.)

*pokes Kim* Hehe.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

When you design jobs on NT server, the default sequential file definition uses an NT row delimiter (CR-LF). When you import those job designs into a Unix Server, they come in with those definitions. You will have to be aware that newer jobs created on the Unix server will default to (LF). You will want to go thru every job and standardize it to Unix file in the designs. Otherwise, you'll be fighting a battle to keep consistent. Suffer the pain once on conversion.

Also, if you have embedded NT slashes in any directory paths, you'll have to manually change those over.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

There's no CommandStage in unix.
You must manually declare any named pipe you used (MKNOD,MKFIFO)
The export/import of jobs now becoming a client procedure (Which means you'll have to keep a PC alive in order to be able to schedule your backups)
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Most Important make shure the unix flavour you choose supports all the connectivitiy you need for your source/target DataBases even those that the organiztion has and not used yet with DS (heck check for future options and limitations as well)
Correction take that in concideration before deciding what unix to buy

(I found the hard way that it is a very important issue, especially if the customer all of a sudden wants to use a DB they didn't plan to have originally :cry: ; I wasn't consulted, but it's not fun, trust me, to explain to your boss/customer you need to buy this and that drivers if you didn't plan to do it to begin with)

in addition to what Ray said,
Don't forget if you do have command line programs/tasks/batch scripts that you run using windows command line you need to convert them for your unix flavour scripts/applications.

be shure to check for third party utilities, you may use on windows with your project, that you can still use them or find replacements in your target unix flavour including any DS extention packs you might be using.

IHTH
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I do hope that James comes back someday and let's us all know if all of your assumptions were correct. All he said was "We are trying to go from NT to UNIX" and everyone assumed "migrate". Perhaps he just meant "access"? :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Not to be smug, 8) , but I commonly check previous posts by a poster to fill in the missing gaps in their questions. Call it "mind-reading", but this particular poster had one previous post about multiple versions of client and metastage. I assumed the post the same way everyone else did, until you came along and ruined it. :cry:

Now I wonder.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Hey, that's a good "mind reading" tip for times like this! 8)

Oh, and don't worry Ken - "smug" is not the first word that jumps to mind when I think of you. :wink: <insert evil laugh emoticon here>
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

well I guess we were in our "wanna share" mode and just spilt everything we thought of.
anyway, if your right , this stuff should help someone some day (then again only if they bother to search before posting sigh :( ).
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

roy wrote:anyway, if your right , this stuff should help someone some day (then again only if they bother to search before posting sigh :( ).
Nah, we'll reply again. We do need the Frequent Poster Miles... :wink:

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).