Lookup

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amerigo
Participant

Lookup

Post by Amerigo »

Hello, i have a great problem with datastage (version 5.2). I don't know how i build a lookup on one table. :(
Thanks Amerigo
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

1. Get training on DataStage. This forum is not a substitute.
2. If you can't attend training, go thru the tutorial.
3. If you can't go thru the tutorial, read the tutorial.
4. If you can't read the tutorial, search this forum for past discussions.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
neena
Participant

Re: Lookup

Post by neena »

Hi
Nice solution ..Kenneth
filestage --- transformer --- hashstage.
You can create hasfiles as either file on file system or you can create that on UDB which is Project workspace.
Select the filename and metadata in the file stage and make sure that one or more keys in it and just drag drop the fields in to target in transformer.
Hope this works for u.
Tnks,
Neena
Amerigo wrote:Hello, i have a great problem with datastage (version 5.2). I don't know how i build a lookup on one table. :(
Thanks Amerigo
kcbland
Participant

Re: Lookup

Post by kcbland »

neena wrote:Hi
Nice solution ..Kenneth
There are so many ways to do a lookup. You could use a hash file stage, a UV/ODBC stage, a hash lookup function, and OCI call to a database, a join within an OCI/ODBC stage. You could use a merge operation. The list goes on.

The poster did not state any information about how they needed to do a lookup. Since this is a elementary issue with an ETL tool, it indicates that the poster has not cracked the manual, tutorial, or attended training.
http://www.ascential.com/services/education.html

A customer who purchases DataStage typically receives training, along with several weeks of onsite consulting.
http://www.ascential.com/services/pro_services.html

So, every customer has onsite manuals, tutorials, and should have their DS304 notes and coursework lying around. There is no excuse for a client not having the materials necessary to use the product. Now, if someone inherits a position, it behooves them to find these materials and learn, if their client won't pay for training. I recommend clients get e-learning, because its infinitely reusable.

Now, if someone goes onto AskTom.Oracle.com and says, "I'm trying to select data from a table and I want it sorted, what should I do?" Tom Kyte will respond:
  • 1. Get training on SQL. This forum is not a substitute.
    2. If you can't attend training, go thru the tutorial.
    3. If you can't go thru the tutorial, read the tutorial.
    4. If you can't read the tutorial, search this forum for past discussions.
I have done accordingly. If someone wants to be spoonfed answers, I believe the Inner Circle members on this forum will not faciliate that. I'm sure in under 8 hours someone can work thru some experimental job designs and get a rough idea how things work. When they reach the point of nuances, than I'll be happy to explain pros/cons of using different methods. At least search this forum before posing questions like this one.

Thanks.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
1stpoint
Participant

Question

Post by 1stpoint »

Amerigo,
What company/country are you in?