Multiple seq file to Hash file conversion

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

raj_cipher
Participant

Multiple seq file to Hash file conversion

Post by raj_cipher »

Hi,

I want to convert some 100 seq file to 100 hash files.I found that i could convert it one by one.Any option of doing it at one stretch.
Think Ahead,
Raj.D
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Do they all have the same record (line) layout? If so you can create a multi-instance job with the file name and hashed file name parameterized, and fire off all instances out of a job control that uses a loop of some kind to deliver parameter values to the separate instances.
If they have differing layouts, or even have to have different column names, you're pretty much stuck with the one at a time approach. :cry:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, you don't need 100 jobs to do this. You could do it in one or perhaps a small number of jobs by dropping multiple "copies" into the same job. A series of streams in the same job will (essentially) run in parallel.

I'm assuming here that the 100 files are not identically formatted. If they are, you could build a looping construct in a Batch to iterate thru the files one-by-one and call a single parameterized job. Assuming, again, that the files identical from a metadata standpoint and you could generate (parameterize) the names of the hash files to build, perhaps from the filename.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
inter5566
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by inter5566 »

Why do they have to be put into 100 hash files rather than just one hash file?
If all file layouts are equal, then maybe you could tack on an indicator to each row, concatonate the files together and load into one hash file.

Just thinking out loud.
Steve