substring in an variable string

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nag0143
Premium Member
Premium Member

substring in an variable string

Post by nag0143 »

hi all,

hey i got a column (description) in my flat files.. in that variable column most of the columns have SSP.text1 hidden in the column (text1 might be any thing), i need to take only 3 char after that SSP.
help me with this.........
Peytot
Participant

Post by Peytot »

In the Help, function substring\
MyString = Field("###DHHH#KK","#", 4) ;* returns "DHHH"

Pey
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Go to your online help from the Designer. Under the Index tab, type in "BASIC" and then select the "alphabetic list of" entry.

You'll see a list of all BASIC functions by alpha. But, more importantly, there is also a line that says "If you are unsure of the function or statement you need, see BASIC Tasks". From there you can drill down into sub-categories like "Substring Extraction and Formatting" which should help you do what you need to do.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

INDEX() to get the location of "SSP." then substringing to extract the particular characters you need. Try it yourself; come back if you're having difficulties.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.