Need help to success in interview

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

freehyd2000
Participant

Need help to success in interview

Post by freehyd2000 »

Hi ,

I have taken taining in Datastage. i have completed one basic project in
Datastage. Presently iam looking job in india.

I need help from Datastage experts,gurus. I have FAQ in Datastage.
I apprecaite if you give answers to this questions to me.

The following are the questions frequently asking in companies.

1)What is the complex job u have undergone ,explain in detail
2)What Complex routine u have written ?Explain.
3)How did u debug u r complex Job .?Expain
4) How do u debug the JOB in a JOB Sequencer?Expaain .
5)How would u transfer the projects from DEVE to Production ??
6)Did u ever work on Production Server. Expalin u r duties ?
7)Did u ever work on the performance issue ?Explain
8)What were the performance issues you faced and how
did you solve them?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

How about you post your thoughts on the matter, and the rest of us can guide you in your thinking?

With all due respect, please go read this topic from beginning to end.

viewtopic.php?t=86008&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I just finished explaining in that topic how unqualified people smoke an interview to get a job/contract they are not prepared to handle, then use this forum as a means of support once they get into the position they have no qualifications to hold.

You are asking us to give you answers that will get you a job. How about you earn the experience necessary to get the job? If you don't understand the questions, or the relevance, or have the experience to know the right answer, how do you expect to do well? Aren't you just providing a disservice to the customer/employer?

Give me a break, your post is exactly what I was just describing is going on in this industry.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by kcbland on Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

If you are new to data warehousing, then you want to read this book. You may begin to understand the field you've chosen to work in:

The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit : Expert Methods for Designing, Developing, and Deploying Data Warehouses
by Ralph Kimball (Author), Laura Reeves (Author), Margy Ross (Author), Warren Thornthwaite (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... e&n=507846
Kenneth Bland

Teej
Participant

Re: Need help to success in interview

Post by Teej »

freehyd2000 wrote:Hi ,

What you definitely need to do is complete more jobs in DataStage. This way, you will learn at least the basic answers to those questions you asked us. It is not that we refuses to tell you this. It is that the answers are much more complicated than what we can easily put on a post.

After all, look at the entire forum we already have here. The issues I have covered with PX barely scratches the surface on what is possible. Few people are even trying to manipulate Orchestrate code directly.

What you need to do is find a BEGINNER job doing development. Start at the very bottom, and pray that you find a job with a number of gurus using the same tools. Listen to them, learn from them, and do their dirty works.

Also, I do recommend reading that book, if only to understand how complex it is, and why you are better off starting at the very bottom if you want to have a long career in this field.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

freehyd2000

I don't think you understand. I hope you get a job and I am glad you are getting the oportunity.

Most of the people on this forum are upset that there is a lack of respect for their skill set by the job marketplace. They are outsourcing jobs to India and Americans and others are losing their jobs or the rates are being cut. Especially when developers have not read the manuals or been to class or done the tutorial that comes with DataStage or read Kimball. Their attitude is "why should we help you get a job when you do not help yourself?".

We have studied our craft. We know the terminology. We know the methodologies. We are very skilled and experienced at delivering data warehouses. Most of us have had to clean up the mess created by unskilled developers. To rise to the top of your craft in America is not a simple task. America is the most creative country on the planet. I have seen a lot of very smart Indians and other nationalities struggle to compete in this environment. If you have studied your craft and have the skills and experience to make it then I could care less what your nationality is.

But I do not think it is a wise thing to ask this group to help you take money or jobs away from their family and friends. I love my country. I am sure you love yours. Think twice before asking a question. Phrase your questions in a way which is more sensitive to the needs of others.

Keep asking questions. We will be glad to help solve a programming issue. I am not sure we know how to solve these social economic issues anyway.

Thanks Kim.
Mamu Kim
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Thanks Kim for trying to be polite and smooth things over.

Now let me ruffle them again, by trying to summarize Teej:

You gotta pay the dues.
Then, you will know the answers. Then, you will impress people enough to hire you.

Let's pretend those are the standard questions that every employer will ask. Then, Fred Guru posts the absolute definitive, world class answers. An opportunity comes up where Fred Guru submits his resume, along with 50 others. Those same questions are asked, the same answers are given. But because Fred Guru put in the time and effort to learn the answers, and 50 others cheated and just recited them from memory, Fred will lose out on getting the engagement. This is because his experience and worth commands a higher salary and billing rate. Furthermore, the inexperienced and cheaper person who does get the job, degrades the industry and market, making companies less willing to spend more on the next person, because they may get burned again.

So, it's not a petty scramble for projects. It's an effort to distinguish those who know what they are doing from those who don't. This forum is helpful to people who are willing to learn, not just get the answers to pass a test. Teej suggests working the lower level projects. I recommend reading books. If you're going to be asked questions like the ones you've posted, your answers can come from both places. If you don't have experience, gain knowledge. If you have experience, but don't know proper software design lifecycle techniques or data warehousing practices, then read the books.
Kenneth Bland

Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

One of the smartest person I know from Ascential is Shyam Mudambi.

I have met a huge diversity of people at AscentialWorld.

I had interpreters from different backgrounds.

My coworkers have far-ranging backgrounds (Russia, England, India, Canada...)

I do not care for the diversity -- in fact I cherish it. It is what makes America great!

But they all are expected one thing: To do their job, and to do it well.

I had to fire an interpreter at AscentialWorld because she is not qualified for it. Their agency low-balled the bid, and they got burnt because I demanded better interpreters.

I have co-workers being fired because they did not perform up to their expectations.

It hurts when I had to take this step, but I know that the steps must be taken if quality is expected to stay up.

If you do not mind being fired from a job you are obviously not qualified for, then go for it.

If you want a long lasting career full of success and accolades... pay your dues. Some people are capable of paying it much quicker than others, but they ALL paid it. Even Shyam.

That interpreter tried to bite in way more than she chewed. She left. Those co-workers tried to do the same. They left. Knowing your limits are as important as pushing it. I am taking a risk in my life right now, but I strongly believe I could hold up very well, and thrive with this risk.

I welcome gurus of all kinds. Looking on this forums, there are more showing up day after day. Look at Pinkesh -- that person is coming along very nicely! I am impressed with that person's capability on picking up things, and I suspect that person will be successful in the future.

Do you want to be successful? Learn.

-T.J.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

freehyd2000 wrote:Hi ,

I need help from Datastage experts,gurus. I have FAQ in Datastage.
I apprecaite if you give answers to this questions to me.

The following are the questions frequently asking in companies.

1)What is the complex job u have undergone ,explain in detail
2)What Complex routine u have written ?Explain.
3)How did u debug u r complex Job .?Expain
4) How do u debug the JOB in a JOB Sequencer?Expaain .
5)How would u transfer the projects from DEVE to Production ??
6)Did u ever work on Production Server. Expalin u r duties ?
7)Did u ever work on the performance issue ?Explain
8)What were the performance issues you faced and how
did you solve them?
I would be quite happy to sell these answers to you. But they would relate to my experiences (going back before v1.0 of DataStage), not yours, so for you to use them in an interview would be both unethical and dishonest. And, because of the depth and breadth of the knowledge and skills that I have acquired through study and real-world experience (and, yes, attending classes) they would therefore be very expensive. If you're still interested, please contact me.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

Ray --

I'll give you lunch for it. ;-)

-T.J.
Paul Preston
Participant

Post by Paul Preston »

[America is the most creative country on the planet. I have seen a lot of very smart Indians and other nationalities struggle to compete in this environment. ]

True America is creative. True many jobs from America and Europe (where I work) are going to India and other places. That's the democratic free market so we can't complain too much, can we? I suspect are earning a living from the fact that companies often buy Datastage and then discover they need more skilled developent people than they originally anticipated.

However, America is a big country with many individuals so one expects a lot of ideas to come out of it.

Ok, I'm putting my flame suit on now :wink: I don't dispute the facts stated but the attitude could be a little more realistic.

Please be careful in making assertions about the superiority of America. Some of us have had to clean up computer programs in which Americans have made a mess. Americans have the same human nature as everyone else and are as good at pinching ideas from other countries as anyone else.

Whilst most of us tend to like and respect Americans most of us aren't desperately wishing we were American and we don't spend the day thinking how wonderfull American software is.

I was recently on a flight home from Denmark where I was teaching a Datstage course and sat next to two computer consultants from America. As we crossed the east coast of England one American insisted he could see the Isle of Man beneath us. The Isle of Man was actually many hundreds of miles away and on the West coast of the UK. Those of us who knew this just smiled at each other, you can't argue with the Americans; if they say the Isle of Man is located just east of London then we had better keep quiet because if they find out otherwise they doubtless have the technology to pick up bits of the UK and move them about to suit.[/quote]
1stpoint
Participant

Post by 1stpoint »

I myself have worked in many environments with people of differing nationalities and backgrounds. I agree that those who know the technologies tend to do the best, however they glean the knowledge. I worked with DataStage before I took any formal training and since I had a Database and app. dev. background, the training for me was somewhat moot but nevertheless helpful.

I agree with Ken in that the problem is that many many people are put on projects with little or no training, or what I call "being thrown to the wolves". Sometimes as long as someone is smart and the knows a similar tool, I would use them on a project but I would be hesitant with DataStage since it requires a combination of [structured] programming, analysis, design and DataBase admin knowledge.

ETL workers are a relatively rare breed in that we work with multiple technologies and methodologies. We have earned that through many many implementations. We have paid the price of working under pressure and asked to perform the impossible. Yet we have delivered repeatedly and consistently and that is what sets us apart.

It may be that some offshore companies will tout datastage expertise. I recently heard of people claiming they have 5 years of DS with Parellel extender willing to work for $40/hour. It's sad that there are companies that are willing to believe that.

On the other hand I have worked extensively with Informatica and people constantly ask me which tool I prefer. I really tell them that decision is not really up to me but to a careful analysis of their infrastructure and direction.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Paul Preston wrote: Please be careful in making assertions about the superiority of America.
I'm sorry, but I've re-read this discussion thread 3 times now and still cannot find where someone mentioned the word America, American, US, etc. Even the links I posted do not take you to any discussion of America vs the world. If you have a specific issue then quote the author and address it. If you are speaking about perceived attitude, then shoot a private message to the author and address it.

The problem is simple. An unqualified person wants to know how to pass the sniff test to get a job. They want the answers to the test without attending class, studying, or taking tests, or putting in the long practical hours. Everyone should have a problem with that.

Furthermore, IMO if you are a serious professional, you should not be a passive reader of this forum. You should be actively engaged in the discussion of the industry, the trends, the methodologies, etc. You should share insights and experiences, because Ascential and the other ETL companies are actively reading this forum. This allows us, as a collective body, to help drive the product direction, as well as thinking and attitudes.

If a poster, with no history or commentary, should appear on this forum and ask how to get a job (and will most likely undercut in salary an experienced person) without due diligence, as a collective that person should be admonished. I believe I led the way in telling this person to go educate themself, as well as engage in a discussion to expand their mind, rather than just get the answers.
Kenneth Bland

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Paul
America is the most creative country on the planet. I have seen a lot of very smart Indians and other nationalities struggle to compete in this environment.
My point with the above quote was that American companies are losing sight of our strengths. American companies are moving software development offshore. We are doing this to ourselves. How stupid instead of fixing what is broke. I believe the way we develop software within a company is dumb. For years we have taken complex projects and turned them over completely to consultants. Leaving behind the in-house developers. Maybe the in-house people can administor what the consultants have created. Recently the admin roles have been outsourced to IBM and others. The in-house people are getting futher and futher behind the technology curve. These people are getting left behind and they know it. They are becoming less and less motivated.

Even worse to save money the companies have decided to manage the consultants with in-house project managers. They are managing people making 2 to 3 times their salary on technology which they do not understand. Naturally the project is a mess.

I think the solution is to pay the in-house people more money. Keep them current with new technology. Bring consultants in to mentor and make sure projects run smooth but get rid of the consultants as soon as possible. In-house are more vested in the future of the company. They need to be nurtured. They need to be considered as assets. I think the long term companies will respect their employees. I worked for many years for Blue Cross Blue Shield of Oklahoma. Their attitude was like the above. The only problem was they were slow to apply new technology. Employees were very loyal to BCBS for good reason.

My other point to the above quote was "pay your dues". If you are an Indian or Dutch or English then read all the books, be open to better ways of solving problems, respect those that have paid their dues and maybe they will share their knowledge.
you can't argue with the Americans
I think this quote is not wise. Maybe the Americans you have run across are not our best examples. There are a lot of stupid Americans. I try not to judge anyone. Will Rogers once said "I never met a man I didn't like" The rest of the quote was "until I talked to him."

I enjoy working with Indians who have paid their dues. I have no problem with any other nationality. I do not associate bad behavior of a few with the whole nationality or religion. I believe if you place a mirror in front of a wise person then they might change their behavior and grow. I have grown a lot in the last year and expect to grow emotionally all my life. I believe my true friends are on the same path.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
Paul Preston
Participant

Post by Paul Preston »

Kim

I agree with all you say, and also with the substance of what Ken was saying.

I certainly don't judge all Americans by the few. I have met some bad examples but I have also met loads of Americans that are great folk. Some of my comments and examples were meant light heartedly.

Certainly in the UK we also see a lot of development and other business going to India and some is done well but much is very bad.

However, I think we need to market our ability rather than rely on protectionism.

Paul.
1stpoint
Participant

Post by 1stpoint »

I think the solution is to pay the in-house people more money.
Unfortunately Kim, many companies are cutting in house wages, benefits, and firing them altogether.