Passing output of one job to next job in Job Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pkothana
Participant

Passing output of one job to next job in Job Sequencer

Post by pkothana »

Hi,
I've created a Job sequencer job to control the flow of jobs. I am getting an output value in one job. I have to pass that as the parameter to next job.
How do I do that? Any pointer to this please.

Thanks & Regards
Pinkesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

HOW are you "getting an output value" from one job? This is not a usual concept in DataStage.

This will affect how you "pass it to the next job".

The usual way is to use some form of persistent storage, such as a disk file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pkothana
Participant

Post by pkothana »

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your time.

Actually, in one job I'm running a extraction command. That command writes the status on to the terminal. That status I have to capture ans send it to next job.

Basically, that extraction command will invoke a tool to get the data from a table and returns the output (on terminal).

I know this can be done through Job control job by digging into the log file. But I was just wondering if it is possible through a Job Sequencer job.

Regards
Pinkesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

My point was that DataStage jobs run as background processes, so (in theory at least) do not have access to the terminal. Can you explain how this happens in your case?
Certainly it could be done in a job sequence which, after all, is simply a GUI used to write a job control routine. You would use either a Routine activity or a Command activity to retrieve the status from wherever the first job put it. A recommended location is the "user status area" of the first job; it's loaded by calling the DSSetUserStatus() function, and the value retrieved using the DSGetJobInfo() subroutine. You could build an after-job routine for the first job to do the former, and a transform function Routine to be called from a Routine activity to do the latter.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.