Copy Paste Definition Columns

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jacal
Participant

Copy Paste Definition Columns

Post by jacal »

Hello,

I have a Table Definition in a job that needs to propagate for many stages all the flow of the job. However, someone told me that in DataStage Designer, I could do a simple operation "copy and paste" of the Input Definition to another Link (without opening the Stages).
Does anyone know how to do this? Is there any Keyboard Shortcut to do this? I tried the CTRL+C and CTRL+V and nothing has happened.

Thanks the help,
Rui Moito
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

They were probably referring to the new "Propogate Columns" option. Right-click on a Transform, select Propogate Columns and then select the input and output link you want to "copy" all columns from/to.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Peytot
Participant

Post by Peytot »

You can 'save' your Table Definition (in your first stage) and after in your other stages choose the option 'load'.

Pey
jacal
Participant

Post by jacal »

Thanks for the help,

it seems that the "copy and paste" operation will be possible if I upgrade to version 7. In version 6, I only can save the definition to the metadata and then drag this saved definition to the links, without opening the stages.

Thanks for the tips,
Rui Moito
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not quite... check out the propogate option. It does exactly what you asked about without the hassle of opening the stages and the whole save/load/drag thing.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
FYI you can also drag & drop the table definition from the repository in the designer directly on the link in the designer which will propegate the link, but you'll still need to enter and edit transformer derivations

IHTH
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

chulett wrote:Not quite... check out the propogate option. It does exactly what you asked about without the hassle of opening the stages and the whole save/load/drag thing.
Yes.

But it doesn't provide you with a visual reference down the line, such as "... okay, here I need to handle this key field... hey... did it propagate to here?"

Propagation is a good idea that sorely need a better implementation. We need visual references to known propagations. This is also why I do not use the Table format in pulling data from Oracle -- no visual references.

I know Ascential Consultants are beating the Propagation drums, but their only real benefit is the "hey, it's easier", and does not address my innate need to see the columns.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).