DataStage Certification Training

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ekareem
Participant

DataStage Certification Training

Post by ekareem »

Can some one pass me some links so that I can know how to get training and how to get certified in DataStage.

I checked the vendor's web site but could not locate the topic....I am assuming there is certification for DataStage...

Thanks.

Ekareem
jseclen
Participant

Re: DataStage Certification Training

Post by jseclen »

Saludos,

Miguel Seclén
Lima - Peru
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

This topic was discussed a while back. I think the conclusion is that there is no Ascential certification in place. There is a SAP BW certification that includes a DataStage component. There was a DataStage certification program up and running a couple years ago but it seems to have vanished. The product suite is expanding and changing so quickly that it would be difficult to keep a certification test up to date.

Here is the old topic link:
viewtopic.php?t=83273

I would like to see a multiple choice certification test. I agree with those who say such tests can be passed by people who have studied and do not have product experience, however it does force you to at least read and learn about each feature in the product. I've met some DataStage developers out there who don't know what a stage variable is, or what a hash file is, or how to count row links etc etc. This can cause them to make bad design decisions.

I know the good people who run this site had ideas about a bells and whistles test but I think if you can get a simple test in place with input from experts around the world then you can evolve it into something better.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

vmcburney wrote:I would like to see a multiple choice certification test. I agree with those who say such tests can be passed by people who have studied and do not have product experience, however it does force you to at least read and learn about each feature in the product.
Maybe not just a multiple choice test, but also a project-based certification test. "Design this using these rules". The training guides could include several alternatives and the reasoning behind each choices.

This was strongly suggested to Ascential after we took the initial classes last year. I personally do not do very well in a classroom based situation, prefering to learn in a lab-based situation.

In fact, I would _LOVE_ it if anyone on here could throw me challenges that are both PX based and server based if only to learn new stuff on my free time. Relying on the requirements from a single company does not help you flesh out the fringe topics, and just simply learn more.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).