How to import table defination for a Teradata table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mmkhan
Participant

How to import table defination for a Teradata table

Post by mmkhan »

I have to trasfer the data from a squential file to teradata tables. To do so i need the table defination to be imported into the repositry from the teradata table were i want the data to be loaded
Can any one help me on this
Thanks in advance
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Use the ODBC import table definitions.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
nrevezzo
Participant

Post by nrevezzo »

I've successfully used the PlugIn Import feature from Designer to import a Teradata table definition.
mmkhan
Participant

Re: How to import table defination for a Teradata table

Post by mmkhan »

mmkhan wrote:I have to trasfer the data from a squential file to teradata tables. To do so i need the table defination to be imported into the repositry from the teradata table were i want the data to be loaded
Can any one help me on this
Thanks in advance
Thanks Kenneth
I was wondering if it possible to import through UniVerse Table Defination. Since i don't have access to the unix box to make some DSN enties. But i have a DSN entry if i select UniVerse Table defination.
mmkhan
Participant

Post by mmkhan »

nrevezzo wrote:I've successfully used the PlugIn Import feature from Designer to import a Teradata table definition.
Hi nrevezzo
Can you please elaborate it .
Like can give me the steps to do it using the designer
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Universe tables are something totally different, they refer to a code branch of the DBMS product on which DataStage Server is written.
Kenneth Bland

mmkhan
Participant

Post by mmkhan »

kcbland wrote:Universe tables are something totally different, they refer to a code branch of the DBMS product on which DataStage Server is written.
Thanks Kenneth
I appreciate it man, now i clearly understood it.
So to import teradata tables i have to have a DSN entry right. Once i have it i can associate it to the teradata stage which i can drag and drop from the palette.
Lastly for UniVers stage in palette what i have to specify for Data source name (eg localuv)
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

localuv is like localhost. It allows DataStage to use Universe stages on its hash files. Hash files stages and Universe stages point to the same physical object, but hash files use a simplistic but highly efficient reference mechanism and Universe stages uses a relational mechanism for references. In addition, for insert/update purposes, hash file stages use a more raw hash seek/overwrite style logic, whereas Universe stages use a SQL mechanism.
Kenneth Bland

nrevezzo
Participant

Post by nrevezzo »

You do need the Teradata Client utilities installed on the DataStage server. Of course you need them for doing any Teradata access from DataStage; or at least the Teradata ODBC driver with a DSN configured.
Here is the procedure:
In Designer, right click on Table Definitions, click Import, click Plugin Metadata Definitions, click Teradata - This presents the window for Teradata Information.
Fill in the info, Teradata Director is particular to your Teradata environment; it is also know in Teradata lingo as a tdp id. This should either be in the server's hosts file or resolvable by domain name services.
The other information required is a Teradata userid and password.
Once the connection is made you'll get a list of tables to choose. Choose the one(s) you want.

You can also do the same procedure from DataStage Manager; and probably a few other places within DataStage.