Problem when filtering an input file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gpbarsky
Participant

Problem when filtering an input file

Post by gpbarsky »

Hi.

I have a huge problem when I filter an input file, using a transformer stage :cry:

The input file has 24000 records, and from these records about 16000 match the selection criteria. But only 9500 are selected (all numbers were rounded).

Is there any limit in DataStage for the process of records, or filters, or whatever can make this process fail ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I checked out the condition and everything is fine.
Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Please post your constraint so that we can see what you are doing.

You could be getting fouled up by NULL values in your data, which don't return the appropriate response to Boolean statements. You may have to address that in your constraint.

Another problem could be a literal string comparison with leading/trailing spaces. It looks the same but isn't. You may have to introduce TRIM(link.column) into your equalities.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
gpbarsky
Participant

Post by gpbarsky »

Ken:

Thanks for your answer.

Here is a cut&paste of what I am doing.

The idea here is to filter the job by those parameters, where the CLASETAR column of the input file may contain a value equal to ClaseTarketa*. Is this clear ?

Thanks again.
Last edited by gpbarsky on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Create an output link to a sequential text file. Put all of your job parameters, plus link columns, into columns in that output file. Do a derivation of

Code: Select all

If ISNULL(link.column or your jobparameter) THEN "NULL" Else link.column or your jobparameter
Add one last column called "RESULT" which contains your constraint. If your constraint is TRUE it will have 1, otherwise FALSE will be 0.

See what's going on. By outputing "NULL", you'll see the word NULL in the output file. Anywhere with a RESULT 1 works, anything with a result of 0 doesn't work, and you'll see the reason by interrogating each of the components in your equation.
Kenneth Bland

Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

kcbland wrote:You could be getting fouled up by NULL values in your data, which don't return the appropriate response to Boolean statements. You may have to address that in your constraint.
I have been bitten by that so often, it's not funny.

Are you (or anyone on here) aware of the reasoning behind considering NULL values as separate from everything else during boolean inquiries? Is it a SQL standard thing? Is there an option to automatically include NULL as true, except when explicitly noted otherwise?

I'm coming from a C/C++ world, so I don't understand the thinking behind NULL behavior here.

I know it's off-topic, yet I bet plenty of folks here would like to know too.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yah, it's a "SQL Standard thing" Teej. :)

In the "Three Valued Logic" world where we all live, booleans come in three flavors: True, False and Unknown. NULL is the unknown value and since we don't know anything about it, it can be neither true nor false. When working with NULLs, you've always got to keep that in mind and account for them in your sql.

You can thank The Codd and The Date (or maybe just one, I don't recall exactly) for that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

In a world of TRUE or FALSE, NULL means "I don't know". So if you ask a question:

If something is TRUE, THEN
   Do This
ELSE
   Do That
End
If something is Unknown, it will always take the Else clause, NO MATTER WHAT. Even if you reverse the statement, it's still taking the Else path:

If something is NOT TRUE, THEN
   Do That
ELSE
   Do This
End
It will "Do This" because you can never take the "THEN" clause because you don't know! :?

NVL, NVL, NVL. Your friend.
Kenneth Bland