downloading data from ADABAS on IBM "mainframe"

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

danjm
Participant

downloading data from ADABAS on IBM "mainframe"

Post by danjm »

Does anyone have experience with pulling data from ADABAS databases on an IBM mainframe? I've been asked how we should do this and do not have any experience or knowledge of that source system.
We need to extract large amounts of data from legacy apps on the mainframe and process them with DataStage to SQLServer databases to support new replacement applications.
I'm assuming that we will want to first pull the ADABAS data 'down' into files that we can process through DS??
Any knowledge of methods and tools or experience in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... Dan
Dan Marshall
Alberta Education
Edmonton, AB
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: downloading data from ADABAS on IBM "mainframe"

Post by raju_chvr »

I am taking a guess here..

Check with ADABAS if they have any ODBC drivers .. if they have then that is ur solution... if not check with DS if they have any stage for ADABAS stage.
danjm
Participant

Update

Post by danjm »

I've asked the question of Ascential support and will await an answer. I will also be asking the ADABAS database folks, Software AG on Monday. I'm still watching here for anyone who might know something from experience and I'll let everyone know the outcome of my queries.
Dan Marshall
Alberta Education
Edmonton, AB
Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Hi guys it's a Maimframe world .... no ODBC :D

I did some data extraction from ADABAS , there are 2 options of doing so.
The easy option is to buy Ascential's ADABAS pack that does the work ... I never used it in a project but I studied the pack and it basically does the same as the 390 pack but instead of generating COBOL code it generates ADABAS NATURAL code.
The second way is to write a COBOL routine that does the work of reading ADABAS and call it from your DS job like any other routine (this option was used by the client I worked with.

HTH,
Amos
AndrewWebbUK
Participant

Re: downloading data from ADABAS on IBM "mainframe"

Post by AndrewWebbUK »

danjm wrote:Does anyone have experience with pulling data from ADABAS databases on an IBM mainframe? I've been asked how we should do this and do not have any experience or knowledge of that source system.
We need to extract large amounts of data from legacy apps on the mainframe and process them with DataStage to SQLServer databases to support new replacement applications.
I'm assuming that we will want to first pull the ADABAS data 'down' into files that we can process through DS??
Any knowledge of methods and tools or experience in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks... Dan
two options take our ascential connect (that gets at adabas via gateways... but you need to check on the versions and platforms, support shoudl be able to tell you this...

or try our adabas connect which produces 'natural' that shoudl also be able to work against the mainframe...

doulbe check with your local rep or support to be 100% sure in your environment..
Andrew Webb
Principal SE Ascential UK

www.ascential.com
Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

I thought of a DS 390 job and I almust forgot that there is a third option - using a gateway to connect ADABAS from a DS server job. You must check whether your MF allowes it (I guess it will not work over SNA connection but i'm not sure).
We have a client that is using datastage + Attunity Connect (http://www.Attunity.com).... if you want more details you can ask Arie (ariear in this forum), he managed this project.

Regarding mainframe jobs, You can read all about it in :
http://www.ascentialsoftware.com/cgi-bi ... onnect.pdf

or goto http://www.ascentialsoftware.com/litlib/ and look for the "ADABAS Connect - The NATURAL Choice" pdf.

Going for the second option I suggested is strongly dependable on the complexity of the task - If the organization already has the wrapper cobol routines ready then it can be a very simple process.... not always elegant but it works.
On one hand you do not need to buy additional packs, but on the other you must have cobol and natural programers in your group. My opinion is that if a company decides that Datastage is the tool, try the best you can to develop everything inside datastage and avoide as much as posible writing external code.... as I said, it is my opinion and I am not the one writting the checks.
danjm
Participant

Post by danjm »

Thank you all so much for your information. It turns out that we purchased ADABAS Connect from NatWorks earlier but have not exercised it as yet. I'm working with NatWorks to install the product this week and see what I can do with that tool. Thanks again to everyone for your input. Perhaps some time in the future when I've learned more I will be able to assist others in return. Have a great day everyone.
Dan Marshall
Alberta Education
Edmonton, AB