upgrade to Oracle 9i

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Teej
Participant

Re: upgrade to Oracle 9i

Post by Teej »

chandra wrote:Hi:

we want to upgrade to Oracle 9i from 8i. Datastage 6.x on windows 2000 is the primary environment we have. if anybody has done this before, was the upgrade successful and is there anything to take special precautions about.
For Server jobs, I believe you will have to ensure that you are using Ora9i stages, not Ora8i.

For PX jobs, all you have to do is ensure that the links are pointing to the right library.

Forgive me for being vague here -- I am not too familiar with Windows version of DataStage. The PX remark would apply with the UNIX version.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Search the archives. Some folks have had issues, and worked around them by not upgrading the Oracle client software, and continuing to use the ORAOCI8 stage, even though the TNSNAMES.ORA entry points to an Oracle 9i instance.
steven
Participant

Post by steven »

First, install the new stage type with the install program.

You can go on DataStage support site, they have an utility that changes all OCI8i stages to OCI9i stages (works fine)... that's one step. Other option we tried was to export the whole project, find & replace the ORAOCI8 to ORAOCI9 and it worked. The OCIs are pretty much the same.

Make sure you have the Client 32-bit installed on your server. DataStage doesn't work with 64-bit client (default with Oracle 9i installation on UNIX).

Make sure you have the LIBRARY_PATH pointing to your 9i librairies. We were not able to have both versions of Oracle running in the same project.

Steve