orphaned connection to DS server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kh
Participant

orphaned connection to DS server

Post by kh »

How do I close an orphaned connection to the DS server? I have a user who was using Designer over VPN when they lost their connection. (Or maybe they just disconnected w/o properly closing the jobs and client...[;)])

Now their job is locked. I can see their connection via netstat and I can also see their processes via ps -ef. They have a dscs and dsapi_slave process still running.

Is there a way to close these outside of having root kill the processes or rebooting the DS server?

Many thanks.
Kevin
jseclen
Participant

Post by jseclen »

Hi Kevin,

You have the follow choices:

1) Kill the process from the Director option Cleanup resources
2) Restart the DataStage services.
3) Reboot the DataStage server.

I recommend to you the first choice, if don't work continue with the next until unlock the job.

Miguel Seclen
Lima - Peru
kh
Participant

Post by kh »

Thanks Miguel, but since it wasn't a "hung up" running process, there were no resources to clean up in Director. I didn't try the Clear Status File option in Director. I don't know if this would work or not.

There has to be a better way than rebooting the engine or killing processes, doesn't there?

Kevin
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

To remove the internal DS lock, search this forum for how to release locks.

To kill the orphaned client process, you are okay to use a kill -15. If that doesn't work, then kill -9 is your last chance. In a Unix environment you never should use recycling the engine as your means for clearing locks or killing processes, as you might hang the listener for the port the rpc daemon uses. That would be bad.

Kenneth Bland
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

We're running HP-UX so it may be vastly different but... If we shutdown the ETL Engine while netstat shows connections then we get to do an OS reboot! The ETL Engine will NOT start again if it is shutdown while there are active connections. Your only option at that point is an OS re-boot. Never shutdown the DataStage Engine while there are connections to it.