Data stage job stats (counts) stopped updating

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gouraram
Participant

Data stage job stats (counts) stopped updating

Post by gouraram »

Data stage job stats (counts) stopped updating counts once it reached running time(elapsed time) of 24 hours, but it is till extrating records and writing into output file, only counts are not getting updated.
Any idea why it is stopped updating counts after 24 hours mark reached, is it because counts are based on time not on timestamp?
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

I saw this in 6.0.1 on Windows 2000 and reported it to Ascential. They did not offer any explanation or solution. Later on the counts in the monitor started again.
John
Neil C
Participant

Post by Neil C »

Has there ever been a solution found for this problem? I have a job in the same situation currently. Running for 25:30 hours and the stats stopped updating some time back. It SEEMS to be still running, but I would like to know how far it has got. As far as I can see the two Oracle databases involved in the process do not have a problem.
Neil Courtney

"MG - Life's too short not to"
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I'm going to avoid asking why you find a runtime of anything measured in days to be acceptable performance.

You may consider that your process died and doesn't know it. It could be that you exceeded a 2.2 gigabyte limit for your particular release of DS and OS if you're constrained by 32-bit files. Could you please give us a little more info about your platform?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
Neil C
Participant

Post by Neil C »

In excess of 24 hours run time is in no way acceptable. It is doing a lot of work (many rows to process) but it should run quicker than it seems to have been over the last day. It was running at about 8 rows per second when the counts stopped. It usually does run quicker than this. Maybe up to 100 rps.

It is transfering data from several tables in an Oracle 9.2.0.5 system (the SQL is narly and needs looking at. It does outer joins on 4 tables etc.). It then writes it to a second database, also on 9.2.0.5. The insert is done using an Oracle procedure, and this may also update records that are allready there. This process also needs looking at, as it could be better, IMO.

I would be worried about the size of the Oracle undo files at this stage, but can not see any sign of there being problems in this area. Don't ask me why the job has been written the way that it has, and does not commit frequently. I know that it needs rewriting...
Neil Courtney

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Ayyyeeesh. 24+ hours??? 8 row/s???
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I suspect that the display of elapsed time uses Oconv(seconds, "MTS"), which is written so as to return a value in the range 00:00:00 through 23:59:59.

You can test it yourself; Oconv(Iconv("28:00:00","MTS"), "MTS:") returns "04:00:00")
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Neil C
Participant

Post by Neil C »

Yay! It has ended OK. I was not looking forward to the rollback if it crashed....

Have now dissabled 24 RI constraints on the target table and it is running again. Lot less rows today, but a lot faster as well. Now to see how many other tables have useless constraints eneabled on them...

Thanks guys.
Neil Courtney