DS job on schedule

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sweetleaf
Participant

DS job on schedule

Post by sweetleaf »

Hi,

I have a datastage job which is scheduled in unix cron tab to run hourly. This job loads data from one table into another. What would happen if on a given day there was so much data to be loaded that this job ran over an hour.. would there be a "conflict"? would it still run at its scheduled time - even if it is still running the previous job etc..??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes - 'conflict' is one word. The job would kick off and then possibly abort or just error, depending on if you were running the job directly or a Sequence/Batch that controlled the job. But essentially the error would state the job was 'not in a runnable state', ie - not compiled, aborted, already running - stuff like that.

You are probably better off scheduling the job to start once, and then controlling the 'hourly' execution of the job via Job Control so that this won't happen. Or perhaps look into Multiple Instances of the job... one per hour... just a thought. [:)]

-craig
shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shareeman »

Hello,
We've got a Sequence job that runs continually and is in effect controlled by a Routine (Transform Function) that determines the time for it to stop. The routine enables the Job to be run within a Time loop and it has the pre defined End time passed on as a Parameter.
As Craig suggests, Set off the Seq job once using the Scheduler and control it from within the routine.
Hope this helps.

and so it begins.....
sweetleaf
Participant

Post by sweetleaf »

Thanks for the advice guys,

Not using job sequences,
I found (in the Director) that the running job is allowed to complete.
The contending jobs wait until previous jobs are completed.

Thats suits my purposes just fine.

cheers