Help on DB2 UDB and SAP

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsuser
Participant

Help on DB2 UDB and SAP

Post by dsuser »

Hi

I'm just learning DataStage.I have a few questions Can somebody help me on that.

1. Is the SAP Extract pack with Datastage XE 6.0 sufficient to extract data from an SAP R/3 database. Or do we need any other tool like Power connect which is used for Informatica SAP integration.
If SAP Extract pack is sufficient how/where do I get it. Is there any material that explains it in more detail.

2. Do we need any specific tool / PACK for using DB2 UDB as one of the datasources. Or is DataStage XE 6.0 sufficient.

3. In a ORAOCI9 stage in the outputs tab in the update action we have several options out of which we also have
a. Update Rows after Inserting New Rows.
b. Insert News Row after Update.
What is the difference between the two. Can you please explain.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

1. SAP Extract PACK is sufficient. It generates ABAP code, which is executed against SAP R/3. There are two modes for this. You obtain it from your DataStage vendor; there is a charge, which reflects the fee that SAP AG charges Ascential for certification of the PACK as being suitable to work with SAP R/3.

2. The stage provided with DataStage 6.0 is sufficient. However, you do need DB2 client software installed and configured on the same machine as the DataStage server.

3. The difference between the two is which is attempted first. This is implied by the word "after". In the first case, an update is attempted; if this fails because the row does not exist, then an insert is attempted. In the second case, an insert is attempted; if this fails because the row already exists, an update is attempted.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518