Versioning of jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gpbarsky
Participant

Versioning of jobs

Post by gpbarsky »

[:)] [:)] [:)] [:)] [:)]
Hi there.

I need to know if there is an application to handle the different versions of a job.

I have three main projects (Development, Testing, Production). Once the development is finished and tested, I want to automate the movement of components to Testing project, and once it is tested in this last project, I want to automate the movement of components to Production environment.

Is there any tool to handle this type of movements ?

Thanks in advance.
[:)] [:)] [:)] [:)] [:)]

Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

quote:Originally posted by gpbarsky
[br]
I need to know if there is an application to handle the different versions of a job.

If you do not require anything more than just a simple migration tool, and you do not mind an unwieldy attempt to migrate individual jobs or group of jobs (which does not easily handle categories), and you do not have any external library requirements (such as routines, BuildOPS, CustomOPS), and you would not mind DataStage determining how the versions should be like, and you do not mind requiring that the jobs be compiled at the designated server (even production boxes), then "Version Control" is probably what you are looking for. It is included within the CDs for DataStage, along with decent basic documentations.

-T.J.

... now if this can make breakfast, my life is complete.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Wow - now there's a hell of a recommendation, TJ! Talk about damning with faint praise... [;)]

We must fall heavily into the "don't mind" category as it works well for us in our environment. [:D] YMMV, of course.

-craig
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Guillermo,

Have you used the 'release job', 'package job(s)', 'install package' functionality in Manager? This can be useful in these situations.

Tony
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In the past, that required root privledges, at least for the 'install package' phase. Don't know if that's still the case, perhaps now you can do it as dsadm via Manager, whereas in the past it was "dspackinst" at the Unix level by root. It also doesn't transfer source (only 'released' jobs, or has that changed?) and by itself doesn't help with the 'versioning' part of the equation, only the promotion piece.

-craig
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I've used the version control tool successfully to move between environments and as a copy tool I think it works well. If you have scripts outside of datastage such as bulk load scripts, sql scripts and ftp scripts you can include these by setting up custom folders. This ensures all components are included.

Another option is to export and import between environments and use the compile all tool to recompile imported jobs. This is useful if you want to check your export files into a version control tool such as Sourcesafe. You can also write a utility that does a search and replace of job parameters such as database logins and paths that a different between environments that processes the exported text files.

I had a look at the Release Job / Package Job stuff and found it was not suitable for an SDLC cycle.

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It remains true that the package installer can only be used by a DataStage administrator (on UNIX that means dsadm or root, on Windows it means a member of the Administrators group).
It also remains true that only released jobs can be bundled into a package and therefore that only released jobs can be installed by the package installer.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

quote:Originally posted by chulett
[br]We must fall heavily into the "don't mind" category as it works well for us in our environment. [:D] YMMV, of course.

I am not saying that it does not work. It work. Very well, in fact. It just did not fit our business needs for those reasons I detailed, among others I may not remember (It was 4 months ago when I did the evaluation.) For a small scale implementation, it is ideal, but I am a strong believer in having the tool fit the company's needs, not the other way. That is why I am hoping Ascential would take Version Control much further with Twister (and yes, I will be evaluating THAT version once it comes out this month.)

-T.J.

... now if this can make breakfast, my life is complete.