Problem in connecting to server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dlvsrinivas
Participant

Problem in connecting to server

Post by dlvsrinivas »

Hi,
I am facing a problem while restarting the DS server. I have Stopped the server and started it back using the following commands.

uv -admin -stop
uv -admin -start

The following error message is displayed.

"The connection was refused or RPC daemon is not running."

I have made sure that there are no open connections from any DataStage clients using the following command and restarted. But still the same error is being shown when I have tried connecting to the server. Could anybody suggest what would be the problem and solution?

netstat | grep dsrpcd
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

srinivas

You cannot run these commands back to back. Give it a minute in between. If you are not root or dsadm then you should not be able to run these. If you have chaned permissions on these commands then they will not work properly.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DwNav - ETL Navigator
www.Duke-Consulting.com
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

As Kim pointed out, you should wait to start the services again. Before you start the services again you should ensure that everything is clean and that all processes (DS related) are no longer present. The following commands will help -

ps -ef | grep phantom
ps -ef | dsapi or dsapi_slave

Always check netstat -

netstat -a | grep rpc

This one needs to come back clean. If it does not properly or fully shutdown then you may encounter errors in connecting. It is reasonable to expect that you may have to wait more than 5 minutes for the netstat to come back clean.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Michael Hester
dlvsrinivas
Participant

Post by dlvsrinivas »

Hi Michael,

I have checked for the processes using the commands you have given and there are some processes which are not closed properly. I had killed them explicitly and restarted. Now the problem is resolved.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Srinivas.