infinite running

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nat
Participant

infinite running

Post by Nat »

Hi all,
I'm a beginner. I have troubles working with timestamp. I'm copying the content of the Employess table (only two rows), in another table, with the same structure. Just a data transfer, without any kind of transformation. The job is succeffully compiled but the running doesn't stop.
It happens every time there a timestamp field. I have tryed in two way:
- ORAOCI stage
- ODBC stage.
With ODBC it happens many time to have 00-000-00 as value for time stamp, even if I try to apply any kind of function to format it.

Ant kind of suggestion will be particularly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Best regards, Nat.
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Hi Nat,

Timestamp is not easy. Oracle has to get the string like "2003-07-11 12:05:23" that is 'YYYY-MM-DD hh24:mi:ss". Use perhaps first Sequential as target for to be able that you did everything right and then use the table as target.

Wolfgang Huerter
=====================
Cologne, Germany
Nat
Participant

Post by Nat »

Hi Wolfgang,
first of all, thank you for your answer. The format you wrote me for Oracle is the same of the datastage project. If so, there should not be problems. But I noticed that when I look the Oracle table content I found DD-MMM-YY format. Is it simply a mask for visualization?
Bye the way, I also noticed that I have trouble with timestamp only if I use ODBC stage to write an Oracle table, instead of the Oracle stage.
Thank you for your suggestion about file target. It helped me much viewing what I were doing!
I'm looking for other exercise other than the tutorial, because I have to start a job with Datastage. I would be very glad to receive any kind of documentation. For the moment, the problems of other members are too difficult for me. I hope I'll be able soon to resolve them.

Bye, have anice day.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Nat

I think I understand your question. Your having problems with timestamp fields in ODBC when updating Oracle. They work fine in ORAOCI. DD-MMM-YY is the native format of Oracle. You will lose the time part if you do that. In the update or insert phrase you may want to call the Oracle function to_date() on the date column. It can convert almost any format into a date.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DwNav - ETL Navigator
www.Duke-Consulting.com
Nat
Participant

Post by Nat »

Hi Kim,
thank you for suggestions. I'm reading a file containing date, and I'm loading it into dimensional time table. The field of the date has timestamp format in the destination Oracle table.
Well, if I use the ORAOCI stage I have not trouble. If I use ODBC stage I'm not able to store this field. I have used the to_date funtion to format the date, but it seems to do not work. Summary of situaion follows:

Date format in the file: 1999-12-31

Date format after transformation: 1999-12-31 00:00:00 (I verified this writing it to a text file)

No rows is written in the destination table; the warning tell me that the month is not valid. Why?

Thank you again, bye.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
it sounds to me that your ODBC configuration is not set correctly
alas, I'm not that experianced with ORACLE, but I think that is what you need to check
I Hope this helps,

Roy R.