Unable to stop a job that hanged

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nelc
Participant

Unable to stop a job that hanged

Post by nelc »

I have problems with stopping a job that is running. It has been running for a few hours already. When I click Stop, it says stop request has been sent to server but the job is still at the running status after a few hours.

Any other way to kill the process?

Thanks!
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Usually when a job is waiting for something it is hard to stop it since it will not reply till that something "gives an answer". another case might be a batch with an infinite loop.

in case you give up waiting:
the safest way to free your job would be to kill that something it is waiting for ( ask the DB server to kill the session ), but also check for zombies after the kill.

alos you could do the most certain way and last course of action which is stop and restart the DS services, but then you'll need to check for zombies( not in DS ) on your DB server and might need to clear some job's status files (via direector) etc...

most find that this is a great time to trace the workflow of the process and find a concept mistake in the job's plan and redesign the job.

Good Luck,

Roy R.
anupam
Participant

Post by anupam »

Hi,

u can also go to DataStage Process and Lock Administration and then clear status file for that job, as i have observed that clearing status file from director does not always works, the job remains in locked state.

the method of going to DS TOOLS is
from ur project directory run
. `cat /.dshome`/dsenv
`cat /.dshome`/bin/uv
these two commands and then
a prompt will come.
type "DS.TOOLS" and then choose option
5 for Administer processes/locks

Then by listing all the locks u can check that ur job is locked or not. 11th(Clear status file for a job) option should be the last to be used.

I hope it will solve ur problem

regards,
anupam