Read/Write MS Access Database from Unix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Read/Write MS Access Database from Unix

Post by tonystark622 »

Does anyone know of a way to read to/write from a Microsoft Access database from DataStage running on Unix?

I appreciate your help.

Tony
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I believe that you need a 3rd party ODBC product to get to Access from Unix. A list of ODBC products is available at www.iodbc.org, they list about 100 ODBC products. An example is Automation Technology which provides ODBC drivers to MS Access from non Windows platforms.

You could also look at www.mysql.com and http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/ or www.easysoft.com who have an ODBC to ODBC bridge that let's your Unix machine access ODBC drivers on a Windows machine.

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Thanks, Vincent. I appreciate the info. This is exactly what I suspected. It's good to have it confirmed.

Thanks for your help,

Tony
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Hey Mark,

DataStage ships with ODBC drivers (for Unix) for many common DBMS systems. I believe that SQL Server is among them. They don't have an Access driver for Unix, however. [:(]

Assuming you meant DataStage project when you said UNIX server project. If you didn't mean DataStage, Merant (?) makes the UNIX ODBC drivers that come with DataStage. I'm sure they can hook you up for a small fee [:)]

Tony