Server/UNC Question

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

johnno
Participant

Server/UNC Question

Post by johnno »

We have a dedicated DataStage (using v6) production server and I was wondering if anyone can tell me how I can get DataStage to pick up files from another server referencing the file with a UNC rather than a mapped drive.

Any help greatly appreciated as always.
Cheers
Johnno
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't think there was more to it than just specifying it properly. IE: "hostnamefilename" in the stage.

Suggest you search the forums here, as I recall this being discussed fairly recently.

-craig
johnno
Participant

Post by johnno »

Thanks Craig.

I'm a DS developer (fairly new at that) and was asking the question on behalf of our technical support guys as they are having some trouble with this. I have run a job which tries to access a file on a different server using the following path:

data1DataDeptPRISM TechETL - DataStageICLDMX (AEI)UTEST_DMX_ICL_DC434.txt

I assume this is the form that you were referring to. But I get the following error when I run the job:

UNCTest..Apps12File.Copy12to17: DSD.SEQOpen Failed to open UTEST_DMX_ICL_DC434.txt in directory data1DataDeptPRISM TechETL - DataStageICLDMX (AEI)
STATUS = 13.

I have checked that it exists in that directory, but keep getting this error. Do the tech support guys need to change some settings/permissions/etc?

Again, I'm from the development side as against the server support side.

Thanks again Craig and in advance to anyone else who may be able to help.

Cheers
Johnno
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As a general rule, a pathname containing white space is going to need to have quotes, either around the entire pathname or around each directory/file name that includes white space.
HTH

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I would think that is the problem as well. Directory names like "PRISM Tech" (you have three like this) can cause problems unless the entire path is quoted - or you use the equivalent 'short' name if on Windows: ie, "prismt~1".

Give that a shot.

-craig