FTP to a Mainframe

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kavo
Participant

FTP to a Mainframe

Post by kavo »

Hi All,

I have a problem trying to FTP a file to a Mainframe machine from DataStage 6.0 (NT/2000 Server). I have no experience in a mainframe environment. The error is as follows:

It seems Datastage doesn't like the mainframe "dataset destination" below. When I try to run ccExtFTPFilestoCUSTPRO in Dev, it returns error message: "ccExtFTPFilestoCUSTPRO..ftp_NSWC_C_Custpro: Error while trying to open connection for sending data to the FTP server, FTP command CWD failed"

FTP address: 'VIB.TELECOM.COM.AU ( 172.131.105.129 )
userid /password for FTP: IN01670 / CUST01
dataset destination : 'ZNIMCM.DCLCF75R.LATEST'

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Damien [:D]
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

AFAIK, there's nothing magical about ftp'ing to a mainframe, it should work pretty much like any other ftp job. Are you using the FTP Stage? The "ccExtFTPFiles" is throwing me 'cuz it seems at first glance like a call to some sort of external routine or script. Plus I don't recall the FTP Stage using terminology like "dataset destination".

With the FTP stage, there are two parameters that control the Where and What... Pathname and Filename. You want to put the path to the directory (folder, library) that is your destination on the ftp target in the Pathname. Before the FTP 'put' takes place it will do a 'cwd' (Change Working Directory) to move to the target directory. You can leave the Pathname blank to have it put the file into the default directory for the userid. Then it will 'put' the file being ftp'd into that directory using the name you have setup in the Filename field.

Your CWD command failed... make sure you are using the correct Pathname for the job and that you have the required permissions. Does the FTP work if you manually ftp the file using the values below?

I've also found that if you are using Job Parameters (which you should be), it is best to put the single-quote delimiters *inside* the stage and not try to pass them in as they tend to get stripped. Using your example, you might have a parameter called FtpFilename. Use a parameter value of ZNIMCM.DCLCF75R.LATEST instead of 'ZNIMCM.DCLCF75R.LATEST' and put the single quotes around the parameter name (like '#FtpFilename#') in the stage.

Not sure if this helped or not... [:I]

-craig
kavo
Participant

Post by kavo »

Thanks Craig,

Yes we are using the FTP stage, and Yes you did help. With this user I can simply deliver the files to the users default location.

Cheers,

Damien[:D]