Weird Question - Server Side Problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

badhri
Participant

Weird Question - Server Side Problem

Post by badhri »

Greetings,

I'm using Datastage server 5.2 on Sun Solaris.

I had the Unix user account (dstage) through which I have connect to DataStage. We tried to change to internal uid of this user account and found that the Datastage doesn't work. This is probelm number 1.

Also, during this the databases in the Unix which was owned by the Oracle User account got shifted to this dstage account.

Any idea why this is happening ???.

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks,
Badhri...
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This seems like a Bad Idea... why would you feel the need to change the internal uid of a user? All file ownerships and permissions are based on this number, not the user name. Try removing a user and look at all files they owned - they are now 'owned' by a number, the former user's internal uid, which the o/s no longer has a clue who is. Add a new user with that number and that new user will magically own everything the old user owned.

I'm guessing that you changed the uid to the same identifier that your Oracle user is assigned, which I wasn't aware you were allowed to duplicate. Best advise, IMHO of course, is - don't do it.

-craig