Files and encrypted parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

MAT
Participant

Files and encrypted parameters

Post by MAT »

Hi,
Using a file to store parameters for my jobs, I would like to store in the file encrypted passwords the way DataStage does it. Obviously for reading and writing them after. Is it possible?

I know someone said once he had isolated DataStage encryption function? Does anyone know more about it?

Thanks

MAT
ksoderlund
Participant

Post by ksoderlund »

MAT,

When a user manually enters text as a password in DataStage, the encryption translation takes place on the client side. This functionality resides in a DLL and to the best of my knowledge has not been made available via a command-line interface. Although the server must be able to translate (decrypt) the encrypted text, I am not aware of any type of text-encryption functionality that is offered from the server.

Sorry, I know this is not what you were looking to hear.

Regards,

Kevin Soderlund
DCS-Strategies
MAT
Participant

Post by MAT »

Thanks Kev...it may not be what I wanted to hear but it confirms what I was thinking [:(].

I guess I'll ask the folks from Ascential about what can be done about it. The team and especially the client does not like the idea of having server passwords in plain text on UNIX and it is something I need to be able to configure outside of my jobs.

Regards

MAT
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The approach I normally advocate to my clients is not to store the password parameter, but to make any encrypted parameters parameters of the top-level control job, which propagates them down the job hierarchy in a totally secure fashion.
In a production environment, when passwords change, the new default values can be entered via the Job > Set Defaults option in the Director client.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
csimms
Participant

Post by csimms »

MAT,

I too have had a similar requirement in a project that I did some time back. Do you have an email address to which I can send a more detailed and direct response?

Chris Simms
mihai
Participant

Post by mihai »

Here's a wacky idea...

If all you need is the encrypted text, schedule the job and look at the scheduler window - you should see the encrypted password, and you can then type that into your parameter file.

If you still need the 'elegant' solution, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Mihai